General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to buy new Harley

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:58 PM
newbiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to buy new Harley

I want to tell you how some woman bought a new car and you decide if her technique can be used for buying a Harley.
She went to a dealer and got written estimate for new Altima and then she just called several dealers looking for better deal. She paid about 1K less. I am pretty sure she was talking to sales managers.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Monochrome
Road Captain

It is a standard practice to try and play one dealer off against another, one thing to remember is best price does not always mean best support and service. Pays to find a balance between the two in my experience.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

So I'm supposed to check with several dealers for the best price? Wow. Why didn't I think of that? Is this something new for 2010? I'm gonna have my wife get prices from dealers from now on.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Softtail Deluxe
Road Captain

C'mon guys ..............Is it really that easy ? ....................why didn't I think of that ?

Old 01-23-2010, 12:49 AM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
So I'm supposed to check with several dealers for the best price? Wow. Why didn't I think of that? Is this something new for 2010? I'm gonna have my wife get prices from dealers from now on.
LOL! I actually took the wife to the dealerships and work her cleavage for the best deal.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:26 AM
deanp1964
Road Master

where was this post when I needed it??!! Ground breakin' stuff, man...

Old 01-23-2010, 05:40 AM
thumperhumper
Tourer

I just take my wife to the dealer and let her crab at em till they practically give us the car just to get her outta there.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:01 AM
Havic08
Tourer

The last 3 cars Ive purchased I had the total out the door cost and the deal done without evening going to the dealership. almost all car dealers now do online and when you ask for their out the door price, they know they have 1 shot to give you the best deal.

As for HD, I agree their is little more too it with service and support. I bought the wifes HD from dealer A as their price was the same as dealer B but they had the color she wanted. However after a number of visits to both dealers, I wish I bought from dealer B. My bike which I plan on purchasing this year will be from dealer B

Old 01-23-2010, 07:14 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newbiker
I want to tell you how some woman bought a new car and you decide if her technique can be used for buying a Harley.
She went to a dealer and got written estimate for new Altima and then she just called several dealers looking for better deal. She paid about 1K less. I am pretty sure she was talking to sales managers.
Don't do it.....they log your first request in the national HD network and if found shopping around ban you from purchasing for a year.

Seriously, never felt where I bought had much to do with better treatment later. Where we live now the parts and service department have been great, very helpful and I think anything after the sale has more to do with the dealer attitude in general.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:28 AM
03100thflstc
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip. Now if that only really worked. Example my father was on vacation in Florida in November. The rear master cylinder went out on his 1990 ultra. He had towed to the dealer. They had no parts to fix it. His thought was I'm gonna be here 3 more weeks and am not gonna have a bike. So he went to Rossmeyer they took his old beat up ultra on trade and he bought a new ultra limited. First new bike he has bought in over ten years. Very happy with his purchase but he never intended to purchase a new bike that day or in the near future. He found the color he liked and the price was right.

I think a lot of motorcycle purchases are on impulse.

Quick Reply: How to buy new Harley