General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Hp and Tq! Why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:02 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default More Hp and Tq! Why?

My original question (120" or bigger)left too many out.Curious to hear from all that are motivated toward more grunt,from their Harleys.No need for dyno numbers,just what your mods are,do you do your own work,what you like the most,were you after acceleration,top speed,the sound,lets hear from you.Finally,are you happy or thinking on more.Dog

Old 01-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
My original question (120" or bigger)left too many out.Curious to hear from all that are motivated toward more grunt,from their Harleys.No need for dyno numbers,just what your mods are,do you do your own work,what you like the most,were you after acceleration,top speed,the sound,lets hear from you.Finally,are you happy or thinking on more.Dog
I think a lot of it has to do with keeping up with the Jones es.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:32 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

mine have always be ok as they are. I don't need to hit the car that pulled out in front of me with any more HP than I already have.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:17 AM
benman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I do my own work. After a trip to Taos N.M. a couple of years ago and having to really struggle to keep up with single riders on RK's and SG's I did the work, and because I had never built a harley motor before I was curious to build one. What follows are the engine mods.
2004 FLHTCUI 95" big bore, same stock cylinders bored to 3.875,
gear drive S&S 585 cams, delkron cam plate, fueling oilpump, kuryakin 58mm throttlebody, ported heads big intake valve stock exhaust, thundermax tuner w/02 sensors, V&H propipe. Upgraded clutch pack. I have a 106" kit to put in my X-Bones next.Bagger is done for performance mods and I am very pleased with how it runs now.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:30 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

I do my own maintenance, but I had someone much more skilled than me build the motor. Having ridden other bikes with much better HP/weight ratios, I have a different opinion of what "good" acceleration is...and no other bike has torque like a well built Harley. I'm currently at under 7.5 lbs/hp and can live with that until the next rebuild...but can't see going for much more, especially when you have to get further away from "Harley" and more and more "aftermarket" in the engine/driveline. What a versatile mount; I can toddle along with the cruisers or blast through the twisties...

Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 AM
purvissp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How fast were those RK's and SG's running?

I believe I could easily keep up with anything running the speed limit or even 10-15mph over with my stock 2010 FXDC.

That sounds like a lot of money and a lot of work that you don't actually need very often.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 AM
benman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by purvissp
How fast were those RK's and SG's running?

I believe I could easily keep up with anything running the speed limit or even 10-15mph over with my stock 2010 FXDC.

That sounds like a lot of money and a lot of work that you don't actually need very often.
Your bike wieghs (663LBS), alot less than my Ultraclassic (875 LBS) and already has a 96" motor. It's not about total speed it is about acceleration out of corners and up hills while riding two up and loaded, approx. 1400 LBS.

As far as how much money not nearly as much as you would think. Ebay and other sites help alot.

Amount of work didn't matter as I am a gearhead and enjoy working on engines of all types.

And you have no way of knowing how often I ride under these conditions, so how would you know what I actually need.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 AM
purvissp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooops, sorry about that. That is a big bike and loaded down. Don't think I could handle a bike that big.

Would be nice to wrench on your own bike, however they have them so complicated today even with the manual I won't do much of my own work. I miss the days of the simple small block Chevy. I at least could do my own work on them.

Today with all the sensors and computers I am lost.

Hope your mods work out well for you.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:32 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My main reason was that my Ultra was just a little boring to ride stock. Now it has a little bit of pep to it and I enjoy getting out and every once and a while romping on it. Plus I haul a trailer on occasion and it needed more power to adequately handle it.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

Did stg1 and cams to get rid of the EPA stuff to get her breathing better and run cooler that will hopefully make her last longer...

Added bonus of more TQ, HP, and better mileage...

Quick Reply: More Hp and Tq! Why?