General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is it no longer a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like people from Texas call every soda a Coke?

Old 02-03-2010, 12:33 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
You ain't building a Harley if you ain't using a Harley frame and motor; your building a V-Twin cruiser that might look and sound like a Harley...kinda like calling all snowmobiles "ski-doo's" or like my Dad calling all other smaller bikes "Hondas"...we all really know what a Harley is.
+1.......a Harley needs to have a Harley frame and motor, IMHO!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:57 AM
UpCountry
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frenchman
I remember that this was a legal issue in Germany. MOCO sued, but I don't remember whom. I think the outcome was that it had to be a harley frame (because the frame# is relevant on the german registration) to be considered a HD. Anything else is a custom.
Now, in the US, I have no clue. Interesting question, tho.
Had the same kind of issue when I moved to Hawaii. Had just rebuilt my scoot using a santee rigid frame. When I registered it here I had to use the frame number and it became a 1987 Santee even though it had a genuine 1979 shovelhead motor in it.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:22 AM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harleydavis
+1.......a Harley needs to have a Harley frame and motor, IMHO!
Depends on the year. A pre '70 Harley engine in an aftermarket frame is still registered as a Harley and everyone knows it's still a HD. No frame registration prior to 1970...

Old 02-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xraybox
If its an old Harley engine the V.I.N. followed the engine (there wasn't one on the frame)
Originally Posted by Blue SOG
Depends on the year. A pre '70 Harley engine in an aftermarket frame is still registered as a Harley and everyone knows it's still a HD. No frame registration prior to 1970...

Yep. One in the sig pic, is a '65 Harley. It DOES have a frame serial # from Ca. DMV, '72, BUT is still registered as a Harley.

The one we just bought, is papered a Kenny Boyce Custom. It does have a Harley transmission. But that's it.

When the 01 Ultra, was upgraded to a 124", used the 'original' cases. You got it, PAPERWORK !!!!! Way easier for someone to get financing, ins., etc.

Psst, that's why a bare frame WITH paperwork, is $$$$$$$$$$$.

And why Harley # stamping sets, are VERY $$$$$$, on EBAY.

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 02-03-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:23 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For lack of a better word, I understand what you are saying. No it isn't a Harley (or a Chebbie) but I call it that for ease of discussion. No I would not represent it as such to a buyer but it has to be originally manufactured by H-D to be a Harley, imho.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:08 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Two of my bikes have aftermarket engines.They are Harley too me and thats all that matters.Purists are missing out on a lot,they just don't know it.Livin life by other peoples rules has never worked for me.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010

Originally Posted by GVDobler
I talked to a guy with a Harley for sale. It had an aftermarket frame and custom motor. The list of stuff was everybody but Harley, but yet it still looked like one.

I have a 377 cu. in. Chevy engine in a 10-second car. Same thing. I have an aftermarket block and I can't think of any part on it that was made by General Motors, but I still call it a Chevy engine.

No point to this, I just thought it was strange. You apparently can buy everthing you need to build a complete Harley without using anything that was made by Harley.
They stopped being Harley's in 2010 when they started Hanging CAT's on every Model. I would all allow S&S and every other aftermarket on a Harley frame and still call it a Harley!

That Catalytic Converter has no place on an air cooled engine and is completely foreign and wrong. Killed the sound and making em to hot to ride.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:53 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
Two of my bikes have aftermarket engines.They are Harley too me and thats all that matters.Purists are missing out on a lot,they just don't know it.Livin life by other peoples rules has never worked for me.
Yep to you, but I have a real Harley. That still matters to me. If there were only aftermarket manufacturers the old Harleys would still command a premium price. That is how it should be. "That Catalytic Converter has no place on an air cooled engine and is completely foreign and wrong. Killed the sound and making em to hot to ride." I also agreed with that comment from Coupe55 about the 2010's with the CATs on all models. what a black day for Harley-Davidson. I don't think I'll own another new one now that they went there.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:03 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue SOG
I agree about the pre-1970 frames since Harley didn't put Vin #'s on their frames at that time. But, after that date to be a Harley it should have a Harley frame and engine. I have nothing against S&S, Revtech, or Ultima motors, but would just call these "Big Twins" or "V Twin" motorcycles.

Quick Reply: When is it no longer a Harley?