General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buy extended warranty or blow off when buying new?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:03 PM
billybobber
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buy extended warranty or blow off when buying new?

I know quality has dropped a bit over the last few years but over 1200 bucks adds a big chunck to OTD price. I am leaning towards not buying it

What are your opinions??

Thanks in advance folks

Old 02-07-2010, 02:08 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are loaded, get it. Or, I believe you can wait a period of time after purchase to buy the extended warranty...you may want to ask your dealer about getting it later if you decide then you really want it.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:08 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never been a fan of the extended warranty for a vehicle. If there are workmanship problems they will usually show up within the initial warranty period. Beyond that you are purchasing insurance for some unusual circumstance. Let's face it if you had $1200 to sock away in a safe CD for the 3 year period you would more than likely have enough to cover what ever might fail after the initial warranty expires anyway.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:09 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,105 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Tough call. I've bought it on my last two Ultras. Never used, not even once. I doubt that I'll buy it again............... Probably be the wrong thing to do this time though.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:10 PM
HawkDriverMTP
Novice

I was wondering the same thing the other day. I am purchasing while overseas on a military deployment. Of course the sales rep is telling me to do it. Apparently for myself, if I store the bike for a year, there is a way that that year will not count against the warranty. If that is so, I do believe it is a good deal. But I am curious to hear others thoughts. It seems that usually once a warranty runs out is when all the problems begin to occur.

Currently I am planning on purchasing the extended warranty. Just seems smart in my opinion.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:11 PM
dynodon89
Advanced

I never used to think extended warranties were worth it, and still don't for most stuff that lasts and isn't that expensive, Tv's, (most of them), other electronics, toasters etc.

But for cars and 20grand motorcycles, it is starting to be worth it. We bought extended warranties for both our vehicles and have gotten our money's worth out of one truck that keeps having 4wd problems. Got two more years on the warranty on that one, and it will be traded or sold before then.

For a car/truck/motorcycle that you plan on keeping beyond the factory warranty, I recommend the extended.

I am not 100% sure about Harley, but I know that with cars/trucks, you can buy the warrenty at the same or lower price at the end of the factory warranty, as you could when you buy the car. In fact if you shop around for aftermarket companies, you can get quotes and bargain for a better price, there IS room to bargain in most of those, at least a little.

If you don't have any luck with price, negotiation with one dealer, go to another.

Be sure you ask if the warranty is transferable, and if you can get your money back (or most of your money) if you never use it. Most will do both.

Don

Old 02-07-2010, 02:17 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's simple. If you are gonna put a lot of miles on the bike(20,000+ a year) and plan on keeping it a long time 5+ years it will more then likley pay off. If you don't put but 10,000or less a year on and plan on getting rid of it in less then 5 years it might not be worth it.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:57 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

ask yourself........how much is "peace of mind" worth to you?

Old 02-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by honestbob
It's simple. If you are gonna put a lot of miles on the bike(20,000+ a year) and plan on keeping it a long time 5+ years it will more then likley pay off. If you don't put but 10,000or less a year on and plan on getting rid of it in less then 5 years it might not be worth it.

+1
If I was going to out ride the stock warranty I would buy the extended warranty.But if you only ride casually it probably isn't worth it

Old 02-07-2010, 03:10 PM
justanotherjim
Road Master

Location: kingman AZ. We aren't in hell, but you can see it from here!!!
Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

Didn't the MoCo have a deal here recently, that, if you bought the extended warrenty and never used it, the Co. would refund you the monies. Not sure about how long the deal was or what the catch(es) were. but ask about it, the worse they can say is "NO!"

Quick Reply: buy extended warranty or blow off when buying new?