General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me why I should NOT install a belt drive primary on my CVO Deuce

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:16 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Well, you won't be able to drive across a pasture with tall grass...other than that, cool!

Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 AM
stockstinks
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS

I am still considering it.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

A guy I work with was telling me last week that back when he was younger and into bikes, he had a primary belt bust and come off at around 70mph, it spit that belt right back into his rear wheel and locked it up tight. he said the rear was bouncing 2 foot off the ground between skips, he hit the pavement sliding on his back and sides right at oncoming traffic, barely escaped alive..he was showing me the scars on his arms, shoulders and back.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Exposed Primary belt

Originally Posted by Jeff W
A guy I work with was telling me last week that back when he was younger and into bikes, he had a primary belt bust and come off at around 70mph, it spit that belt right back into his rear wheel and locked it up tight. he said the rear was bouncing 2 foot off the ground between skips, he hit the pavement sliding on his back and sides right at oncoming traffic, barely escaped alive..he was showing me the scars on his arms, shoulders and back.

OKEY>............................That about does it for me!!! LOL

I will now update my opinion:

"It looks cool but I would never get one".

Old 02-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL, you would have to know this guy, big ugly motor head, machinist, bald headed, bearded..everything you would expect to see in an old biker. As he was telling me that he just laughed and laughed..he said the *** end of that bike just bunny hopped about 5 times and then he came off..he told me he would have crapped his drawers except for the fact that the pucker factor was to high ROFL.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:16 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Have never had any experience with them, but omg, they look gnarly as all get out!! Just looks awesome with being able to see all that hardware flyin around there. As far as breakage, maybe years ago, but hd went to belt finals with no real probs. Just my personal observations and feelings.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:38 PM
newbiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is another thing I will never understand. In addition to ape bar, hard tail, 300 mm rear wheel, bunch of bling-bling, long forks, sculls, etc. Maybe I am just too old...

Old 02-18-2010, 09:59 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell back in the day guys used to run open chain drive primaries. Talk about noisy and dangerous.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff W
Holy Sh*t....like I said...if you don't mind reducing the resale value of your bike by crashing at 70mph...go ahead...

Old 02-19-2010, 05:07 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

For years ran an enclosed belt on Stroked Shovelhead,it was all hype.No feel in hp gains or anything for that matter.No need to worry about chain adjustment.Open belt is noisy because of clutch.your choice

Quick Reply: Tell me why I should NOT install a belt drive primary on my CVO Deuce