General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering behind a Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Zap
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Graduate
I'm going to S.C. on a week vacation. I want to take my Dyna on a lightweight converted boat trailer but I wonder if this makes good sense. The bike is about 625 and the trailer can't be more than about 250. I think it should be able to do it. Cars a standard 4 cylinder. What do you think?
Maybe, but with a little coughing and wheezing...

Old 03-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Graduate
Cruiser

I like the picture of the Low Rider on the trailer behind the Focus. Thanks for that. Now I'm definitely doing it.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:43 PM
HOGBOY57
Road Captain

my daughters boy friend has a civic and trailered a street glide from ny to florida and then back to il no problems.i think he went to u-haul for the hitch and the trailer is homemade.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Graduate
I like the picture of the Low Rider on the trailer behind the Focus. Thanks for that. Now I'm definitely doing it.
Heck, that aint nuttin. I haul my FLH with that car fully loaded to the gills without a lick of trouble. In the bottom pic you can see in addition to the bike, the cars so loaded down I couldn't even carry a passanger. Its just physics. If a 6000 lb truck with 260 horsepower can haul 10,000 lbs worth of trailer, a 3000 lb car with 130 horsepower can certianlly haul, what....a 10th of that??? Believe me, I do it all the time. And I've had rednecks literally turn purple and whip threw traffic just to catch up to me 'cause thier pasengers laughed so hard at their trucks getting passed going up hill by a Focus haulin' a Harley. They must have small weinys or something, I don't know.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:34 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Remember to have 60% of the load (bike) weight ahead of the axle and 10% of the total load and trailer weight on the hitch.

If it is a dual axle 70% of the weight ahead of the axle.

Not to hard to determine those locations. I have set many trailers up over the years. If not done to those specs the trailer will sway all over at speed or down a grade and the vehicle will do a lot of pogoing.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 PM
ASPHALT WARRIOR
Cruiser

hey if u are in doubt get a hitch for the bike and pull the car lol

Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I saw an ad yesterday for Cyclehitch.com. Has anyone used this. I was thinking about getting this so when i take my vehicle to the shop, i can drop the car and ride away on my harley. I am curious what it is like to tow though. I hate to spend the money only to question my bikes safety. Looks promising for short trips though

Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrash3
I saw an ad yesterday for Cyclehitch.com. Has anyone used this. I was thinking about getting this so when i take my vehicle to the shop, i can drop the car and ride away on my harley. I am curious what it is like to tow though. I hate to spend the money only to question my bikes safety. Looks promising for short trips though
that's just plain scary!!!! for just a few bucks more, you can get a real trailer

Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

UnFrigginBelievable!!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:51 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I would think there would be no problem once the proper tongue weight is there. Once tried to tow a 4x4 on a two wheel dolly with a full size bronco. Drove about five miles and took the dolly back. Bronco too light in the butt end to handle the weight of the 4x4. Pushed me all over the place. I realize there is a huge weight difference here, but the principle is the same. imo.

Quick Reply: Trailering behind a Honda Civic