General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't know anything about trailers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:17 AM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mid evil train
What you are pulling the trailer with, will need to be factored in?

2004 Pacifica, manual says I can pull 3500 lbs

Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Zap
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kccustom

So like the title says I know Jack Sh* about trailers so I could use some help with:

What size is good for a single bike?
Is enclosed really worth it?
What brand and where to buy? (checked crags and ebay)

Thanks!
I can offer this thought on buying a trailer.
It's much like buying into a Harley. when you first start you may end up with a Sportster for the usual reasons, cheaper, smaller etc. Shortly after you find you should have bought the Big Harley to begin with, and you won't be happy until you do. Same with a trailer, if you buy some small open trailer, I guarantee, down the road you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it right the first time. I would buy nothing less than an good brand name enclosed, at least two bike with spare room, single axle trailer. "Chariot" come to mind as I've had two of them. In the meantime rent one.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:37 AM
HD 472
Road Captain

A big hell yeah on the 5'x10' landscape trailer ,but don't use the gate...Use a 2"x12"x8' board to load it....The gate works like a parachute it will suck your tank dry..........

Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM
mid evil train
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the Pacifica a six cyl? does it have that CVS tranny (I think its called CVS or CVT) ? If its the same tranny as they put in the Murano and similiar vehicles, I think a 6X10 enclosed will be too much trailer in the long run. Just my .02. Eclosed is nice, but I think it just keeps your bike clean and a little more secure at hotels. I have "open" trailored my bike on some long trips, and I never had any problems with road debri or rocks/ pebbles causing damage. If your only going to use it once ayear or so, I'd go with an open flat bed. Put a detachable Pingle on it to help steady the bike. There are alot of decent local trailer builders out there, and from what I've seen, most are heads above what Home Depot and Lowes sell.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22,045 Likes on 8,476 Posts

You certainly want to use a light trailer to cut down on fuel costs. A single skid bike trailer should be sufficient and building or buying a ramp should be easier because it's low to the ground.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:11 PM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I Bought a used 60"x120" all aluminum trailer with short sides last year that only weighs under 400 lbs rated at 2200lbs max load. That means I can haul 2 baggers and still not be over loaded. Pulls great and it can double as a utility trailer to haul stuff.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 PM
kccustom
Road Master

Sounds like the consensus is for what I want to do and with the vehicle I have a flatbed may be my best choice.

Another thing I forgot to add was I don't have a lot of storage room for an enclosed trailer.

If I rent one is there something I need to look for?

I appreciate all of the help!

Old 03-17-2010, 08:36 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Open trailer leaves your bike exposed to everything. An enclosed trailer hides the bike and protects it from the elements. I have a 6x12 Haulmark that is 6 feet tall. It pulls easy at any speed and I have insulated it. I installed a roof a/c, two sliding windows and removable wheel chocks. I can use it for camping, hauling and storage. Wouldn't do that with an open flat bed trailer. Go cheap --regret your choices later. JMO

Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 PM
mid evil train
Road Master

Just make sure you have several good rigid tie down points both in the front and rear. After the first few miles, stop and check your straps, they may loosen up. I would higly recommend ratchet style straps, as opposed to the kind where you just pull and they tighten up. It may be overkill, but on a long trip, I use four straps on the front, and two on the back. Dont slamb down the front straps to snug, or you could blow the shock seals. And of course protect your chrome and paint from any potential rubbing. If a strap is in contact with anyting, the vibration will tear it up.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:46 PM
mid evil train
Road Master

One more thing. Make sure you have a good spare, and the proper tools to do a quick "side of the road" change.

To each their own, but I look at like the bike would be exposed to elements, on the trailer, or if your riding it. I'm not sayin enclosed isnt great protection, but your paying about three times more, for something you say you will seldom use.

I have a 5X12' that I had made, with an aluminum diamond plate bed, and a Pingle wheel chock and 15" wheels. This trailer has been great, and it has about 20 thousand miles on it.

Quick Reply: I don't know anything about trailers!