General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time at Cooks Corner yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:56 AM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Used to head out to Cooks every few weeks when I lived down that way. Usually did the Julian route about once a month as well. Would only go to Hell's Kitchen during the week. Avoided the Ortega like the plague on the weekends.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:53 AM
SVTNate
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AThousandHurricanes
The ride to Cooks and Hells Kitchen is one of the most dangerous in So Cal. It's beautiful, but you trust a lot of idiots with your life every time you ride that stretch. Be careful!
Cooks, dangerous? I don't think so. Yeah, coming from South County there are some nasty switchbacks dropping into the canyon, and usually sand at the bottom, but the other side headed towards Irvine Lake is all gentle sweepers and wide lanes, not a single technical turn in there without much side traffic. I ride Ortega a couple times per month and ride Santiago Canyon/Live Oak weekly, and I've never seen anything there that made me think it was a dangerous road to ride.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotta agree with Nate on this one. I know that Live Oak Cyn and Ortega Hwy have a "reputation" as dangerous, but I really think it's just because of all the squids who get in over their head. The traffic volume, even on weekends, is not that great. As long as you don't follow too closely, refuse to yield or give a wave-by to the inevitable sportbiker in a hurry, or ride beyond your ability ... it's really not a problem.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by O6FXST
I've been to Cooks, Toms Farm and the Rock Store. The Hideout and Julian are much better rides in my opinion.
Right, too much L.A. freeway to get there. And Julian won't be too hot till August-September.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

The ride to Cooks and Hells Kitchen is one of the most dangerous in So Cal. It's beautiful, but you trust a lot of idiots with your life every time you ride that stretch. Be careful!
Amen 100% right on, I believe he is wit reference to people you can not controll.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:07 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leicafish
Amen 100% right on, I believe he is wit reference to people you can not controll.

Exactly. It's the fast and the furious wannabe's, the crotch rocket kneedraggers, and other lunatics that seem to gravitate to the area and do extremely stupid things. I know a guy who died up there...was hit by a dodge viper driven by someone who had literally just bought it and was nowhere near prepared to handle that car on that road. deceased was a veteran rider.

Ortega Hwy is beautiful, and I love doing the trabuco canyon bar hop, but I always feel like my life is in the hands of a 17 year old in a lowered civic playing "let's see how much I can drift the curves before I kill someone" every time I go.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
It'd be another hour and a half or maybe two . . . but if you get a chance . . . take a ride up to the Santa Monica Mountains and visit The Rock Store on Mulholland Drive and Neptunes Net out on PCH at the Ventura County Line. Both provide the roads and views for a great ride, but The Rock Store not only has a similar number of bikes to what you saw at Cooks Corner but also has a significant number of unique, special interest and antique bikes.
My regular haunts. http://www.rock-store.com/ http://www.neptunesnet.com/

Old 03-23-2010, 12:37 AM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do Cooks every Wednesday, Silverado Cafe every Thursday, and Hells Kitchen every Friday for lunch. I like them all but Hells Kitchen is my favorite.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:13 AM
SVTNate
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sealbeachbum
I do Cooks every Wednesday, Silverado Cafe every Thursday, and Hells Kitchen every Friday for lunch. I like them all but Hells Kitchen is my favorite.
Hell's Kitchen is a really nice, peaceful place during the week. Just a small handful of folks. I love getting lunch and then kicking back with a cigar before I leave. Cook's is a similar deal much of the time.

Oh, and if you're at Cook's for spaghetti this week, I'll be there on my black FJR1300.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:08 AM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain

Ortega Highway is actually one of the most dangerous roads in the US. I've had two friends die on that stretch in seprate accidents. Neither was being stupid. Still, it's a nice ride.

I love hanging out at Cook's Corner but it's not much of a ride since I live less than five miles away. A great place to spend a Saturday with great people.

Lisa

Quick Reply: First time at Cooks Corner yesterday...