General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interview with Harley CEO

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Angry_Inch
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Interview with Harley CEO

Nicely re-worded, solo!

Old 08-05-2006, 01:46 PM
BIGSKY_FLHXI
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Mac57

ORIGINAL: Pathfinder

He has to be purely pandering to the interviewer! What a bunch of PC BS. [:@]
I think that is exactly it. He's a CEO being interviewed bya business magazine very much in the public eye as well as the government. Ziemer is just making all the right noises to placate the powers that be and their narrow minded PC existance. I have a feeling if you were to get this guy talking one on one over a beer he would probably laugh at his own dialog in that interview. Just gotta play the PR game.

Mac nailed it. If he didn't play the PC card, he would be inviting the heat to come down on HD. By saying the bikes are quiet from the manufacturer, it helps keep the EPA happy. Gotta keep the government happy or bad things happen. Their is no doubt in my mind that he has a loud Harley and would make every bike off the line loud if he could get away with it.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer

If you have been around for a while, you know that what is said in a public interview has very little to do with the truth and a lot to do with business pressure and being politically correct. Most of us are coming down pretty hard on Mr. Ziemer, but I doubt very much if what he said in that interview is what he really thinks. Give the guy a break...what was he supposed to say? Loud pipes save lives?

Old 08-05-2006, 08:59 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

From the sounds of it, he woulda been a lot more popular around these parts if he had.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:00 AM
madcitycustom
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interview didn't tick me off as much as it seems to have done to some. Regarding the male Caucasian issue, HD is just trying to grow their market so they can sell more bikes. That didn't bother me. I'm glad they're building more bikes because that will keep them more affordable and will stem the trend of motorcycling becoming a rich man's hobby. And I think the last comments regarding "loud noise" are aimed at the EPA and the fun police. Although maybe, he's ticked off a little because every customer satisfaction card they send out comes back saying how their pipes have become too quiet.