General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to move up and I have so many questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:57 PM
ghostflames
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to move up and I have so many questions...

So I have a 2008 Nightster that I bought in September of 2008. I have spent a fair amount of many tricking the bike out...short shots, race tuner, custom forwards, internally wired 15" flanders and a pingel race shifter. Its a great bike and in a perfect world I would love to keep it. The problem is I am a bigger guy (6'1 240) and the bike is pretty uncomfortable on longer rides. I put over 16k miles on my last bike in a 2 seasons, but the Nightster only has 6200 in a season and a half. It just doesnt seem to match my riding needs.

So here is my dilemma and I hope the folks on here with more knowledge than me can share what they think:

1) I will likely trade / sell the Nightster. I know that accessories dont help, but what should I expect to be offered?

2) I want at least the option of bags and a windshield, but the E-Glide and Road King are not my style. I also don't want apes again - so the Street Bob and Cross Bones are not great - at least in stock form

3) I want a good value for my money. I dont want a payment above $300 on a 6 year loan and I don't want to put any money doan at the moment - I would rather use that money for accessories and not finance those.

So I am drawn to the look of the Super Glide Custom and the Fat Boy Lo. I have a bad ankle, so I cant ride the Dyna to test without some fabricating...so I have to take a leap of faith so to speak lol. What should I expect, do both work well with bags and windsheilds (detacheable of course). Are they both about the same to maneuver around?

I appreciate any and all thoughts.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:02 PM
tracey87
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My suggestion is to take off the accessories and sell them. They are not worth much when you sell or trade the bike. Second, the Fatboy does well with a windshield. That being said, there are some great deals on used bikes. I got an 04 Fatboy for 9k.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:12 PM
mongoose
Tourer

I'd go with the Superglide Custom. It can be made to look good with a 'shield and bags.
IMO that's the best value for the money of all of HD's offerings.

Course I'm kinda partial (2001 FXDXT)

Old 04-05-2010, 03:13 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I got 8,500 for my 07 Nightster last year,it had some accesories on it.Sounds like you need to look at some good used bikes at a good dealer.There is a lot of bargains right now even at the dealers.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:48 PM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m not sure what the Harley economy is like in Indiana right now, but if you trade your Nightster in, you are going to take a financial beating at the dealership. Selling it privately will likely put a few more dollars in your purchasing power. I would not expect to get much out of the money you spent on accessories other than perhaps something for a windshield and/or bags.

When it comes to choosing between the Super Glide Custom or the Fat Boy Lo, sit on both before deciding. If possible, test-ride them. Ask the dealership to price them with windshield and bags. How the bikes feel plus their out-the-door dollar figures are likely going to be the two biggest factors in what you end up buying.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:55 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

my advice is to buy used.
Makes your choices unlimited, and let some other sucker take the hit for putting accessories on the bike

Old 04-05-2010, 05:11 PM
NMRoadking09
Advanced

I love my Roadking, but since its not your style, I would definately recommend the Heritage. Looks sweet with or without the bags and comes with a backrest and windshield for 2 up riding. Goes from nice bike with bags to sweet bar hopper in just a few minutes.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:02 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I would go "used" as well, as you can find a great deal. Since you like to ride distances, the recommended Heritage is a good bike for this.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:08 AM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Just remember, if a dealer offers you $8,000 trade, you need to sell it for $8,600 privately to remain even. You only pay sales tax on the trade difference if you trade it in.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:46 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm a Dyna guy but I have to admit the Fat Boy Lo is a sweet bike. Have you considered the Wide Glide? All the bikes (Super Glide included) mentioned would work work well with bags and windshield, so, it should be what bike fits you best that makes your decision.

Quick Reply: Looking to move up and I have so many questions...