General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally mustered up the courage to change my own fluids....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:33 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Finally mustered up the courage to change my own fluids....

Awhile back, I posted about my intention to do some of my own service on my bike(s). Well, I finally did it. Actually, I'd built it up to be a much bigger deal than it turned out to be. I'd even been avoiding riding the RK in favor of the Deluxe so as not to put miles on it (I was just over 10K) because I was intimidated by the whole ordeal. But, the weather was getting too warm and the RK was calling, so I decided to bite the bullet. I confess, it was quite the production!

From start to clean-up, it took me a whopping 4 hours. This did include riding around and doing a bit of parking lot practice to warm it up. Now that I've done it, I suspect it'll take half the time or less from here on out.

You would have thought I was re-building the engine! Before I started, I watched the "Fix my HOG DVD", re-read the steps in the service manual and took notes then went out to the garage and layed out all the tools/parts so I could access them easily. (Okay, so I'm, how do you say...**** ). Even had the primary fluid on one side and the tranny/gear oil on the other.

Now, my bike has been lowered AND I have the Wheeldock Centerstand. I knew this was going to be an issue because there just isn't much clearance underneath to work with, so I get my handy little ramps ready so I can get the bike off the ground about 4". I was contemplating using my Pitbull Lift, but decided it would probably interfere with the plugs. The ramp trick was great in theory, not so great in practice. Why? because I put a couple of blocks under the jiffy stand and the bike was pretty much vertical. Can you see where this is going?

I ride up the ramps...perfect placement! I remove the tranny and oil dipsticks and then proceed to use my handy new tools to begin loosening the drain plugs. Oh, the joy of having the right tools! Have I mentioned how much I loved shopping for and getting all these new tools for the bike?! Anyway, I'm on the right side of the bike as I start loosening the oil drain plug. It was tricky as the plug was hard to get to and it was tight. I have this passing thought "Hmmm...I need to be careful not to pull the bike over while yanking on the socket wrench as I try and loosen the oil drain plug". I really should have listened to that little voice!

Oh, about 30 seconds later, as I'm squatting and looking under the bike as I yank on that socket wrench, I realize the bike is coming down...in my direction. I never moved so fast in my life. It grazed the bridge of my nose. I'm thanking my lucky stars I didn't get hurt, or worse, caught underneath the bike, in my closed garage, alone, at night, with my cell phone on the other side of the garage! My heart rate was pumping as was my adrenaline as I accessed the situation.

Oil has come out of the oil fill hole...not the drain plug as I feared. I'm very happy I hadn't gotten the tranny or oil plugs off yet or it would have been a major mess. The bike is resting on the higway bars and it seems unscathed until I notice the pipes resting on my socket set. Yep, the heat-shield is sporting a nice little line of dents now. Major bummer! Could've been much worse though.

I calm down enough to realize I needed to upright the bike & get on with it. Thankfully, I'd uprighted a Sporty at a HOG Rally and was pretty sure I could get the RKC up by myself. Even so, I like to never got the bike up because my garage floor is painted and my feet kept slipping, even with my riding boots. I realized I needed some traction so I put a rubber doormat under my feet and got the bike back up. Whew!!!

I could feel my heart rate returning to normal as I decide it's going to be okay. I clean up the spilled oil, "86" the ramps and continue on with the bike on the jiffy. I also clear out any tools near the bike should it fall again! The Primary and tranny fluid part goes like silk. Well sorta...I managed to drop the tranny and oil drain plugs, along with the socket, into the oil fill pan. Rather a mess extracting them...esp from hot oil.

My impact wrench was at the ready for those pesky derby cover screws I'd read about here, but they backed out easily. I clean everything with my brake cleaner, replace o-rings/gasket, etc., add the tranny and primary fluid...use blue loctite on the fasteners, teflon paste for the drain plugs, tighten everything down according to H-D Manual specs with my newly acquired torque wrenches (set back to zero after use). My confidence was mounting.

In anticipation of having to fight the oil filter, I save that for last. I was armed with no less than 3 different types of oil filter wrenches. It doesn't disappoint! Screw the strap wrench! It was completely useless. I quickly trashed the 2nd "handy" little filter wrench that was too large. The Drag Specialties Wrench I'd gotten at the Dealer has a flare on the edge, making it about 1/16" on the edge that needs to fit into a 1/32" space. It was my best, and only shot. I cuss and save some pretty choice words for the satanic Indy who seemingly took glee in tightening the oil filter down so noone would ever be able to extricate it. I fight it some more, I stop and re-start, I almost give in and go to bed. I step away one last time before I go postal and take some deep breaths as I contemplate the best course of action. I need to figure out a way to pound that baby on the oil filter so it will seat properly. With a prod and a hammer. I manage to cram that filter wrench on the filter and and finally have success! Of course, I spill more oil getting the darn thing off, but I see the finish line! I add my oil to the filter (Mobil 1) and I hand tighten that puppy then add 3-1/2 qts of oil and I'm done! Well, I have to clean up and put away the large myriad of tools I'd pulled out (most of which I didn't use!). Cleaning up included trashing the 2 useless filter wrenches.

I step back and admire my bike, check for leaks...cringe at the new dents in the heat shield and head off to bed with a re-newed sense of pride.

Yes, I figure with the newly acquired Craftsman tools, the hundreds of paper towels I went through, the service manual, the parts, the damage to the heat shield...this oil change cost me about $750 or so. BUT, I SAVED $70 in labor the Dealer charges for the HOUR it takes them to do the fluids! Only 10 or 11 more fluid changes and I'm about even!

Actually, the tools have come in handy because I've added some simple things to my Deluxe, which in the past, I would have had the Dealer install. That probably saved me a couple hours labor or so.

What I learned:
Having the right tools rocks!
I now know what size allens, sockets, torx, etc to use and wrote those in my manual so it'll go smoother next time.
When working on the bike, keep it on the jiffy stand or at least strapped down or chocked if upright.
It feels good to do it myself.
It's so easy, even a girl can do it!

Last edited by monstead; 04-07-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome i love reading about people taking on the tas kof regular maintenence o nthier rides, especialy women.

oh just so ya know princess auto*canada's version of harbour freight* carrys complete socket sets that have feminine flower style finishes on them instead ofthe typical black or chrome one of your loca ltool places might have them down there i nthe US

Old 04-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats !

Any chance you had a video camera going ?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Monstead that's hilarious, except the part about dropping the bike. Glad it didn't fall on you.
It's cool that you did it yourself!

Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monstead - I am so proud of you!!! Don't you worry about that heat shield, it's a badge of honor! I admire your courage, strength and determination. Congrats, and welcome to the wrenchers den. 10K huh... so now ya need to get that clutch and rear belt adjusted, lube the jiffy stand and squirt your cables... well, you got the manual, so just keep going. The rest is a piece o' cake, you wrench turner you!

Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 PM
monstead
Club Member

You know, I considered the video camera. I could have called it "1 Chick, 1 Harley and a $750, 4 hour Oil Change". Would've been a funny one for You Tube. That, or a "What NOT to do..." instructional video!

I'd like to see just how fast I moved when I realized the bike was falling my way. The whole experience is pretty comical. Well, it's funny now that I survived without being horribly disfigured from having a 800lb, piping hot Harley come to rest atop my face/body!

I'm pretty sure my friends are taking bets on whether or not I'll do it again. (the answer is YES)

Last edited by monstead; 04-07-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:45 PM
monstead
Club Member

Originally Posted by clicker01
Monstead - I am so proud of you!!! Don't you worry about that heat shield, it's a badge of honor! I admire your courage, strength and determination. Congrats, and welcome to the wrenchers den. 10K huh... so now ya need to get that clutch and rear belt adjusted, lube the jiffy stand and squirt your cables... well, you got the manual, so just keep going. The rest is a piece o' cake, you wrench turner you!
Thanks for the comments, but I rode that puppy to the Dealer the next day for that stuff...maybe next time! Dayum, I'd have needed the whole day to do all that at my pace! I had to laugh when I found out my efforts saved me a whopping 1 hour labor cost.

As for the other items, the clutch adjustment looks tricky and I'm afraid I'll screw it up. I need my clutch you know! If I had someone to walk me through it all and watch over my work, I'd be more willing to attempt some of the other items. I do think I can adjust the primary belt though. The Dealer changed out a spark plug...I could've done that too...and lube the jiffy. Come to think of it, I know I can handle the lube part.

Did I say how happy it makes me to have all those nice tools in the garage? Proud "card carrying" and Valued member of the Craftsman Club right here!

Mary O

Old 04-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Woo hoo....

Have you hoisted the bike with the pit bull lift to see the accessability of the drain plugs? I know you have a unique situation with the center stand, that's why I'm asking. The bike would be very stable turning wrenches and you wouldn't be working a few inches off the slab.

Glad to hear you didn't get squished. It'll only get easier from here...

Old 04-07-2010, 12:21 AM
monstead
Club Member

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
Woo hoo....

Have you hoisted the bike with the pit bull lift to see the accessability of the drain plugs? I know you have a unique situation with the center stand, that's why I'm asking. The bike would be very stable turning wrenches and you wouldn't be working a few inches off the slab.

Glad to hear you didn't get squished. It'll only get easier from here...
Actually, no. But, it's a major PITA with the bike being lowered combined with the center stand. In addition to the ramps, I have to use shims for the front arm to keep the bike level because the rear arm rests on the CS. Am probably going to remove the CS (even though I love it) because on my lowered '09, it makes the clearance a nightmare and lately, I've been hitting it when I turn (getting more aggressive I guess) and when I go over speed bumps/dips. I'll still have to use the ramp to get the Pitbull under my lowered bike, but it'll be way easier w/o the CS to contend with & I'll have more flexibility where to place the arms, whereas with the CS, I have almost none. So, with all that going on, I assumed it'd be a pain getting to the drain plugs & decided against even trying the lift.

I like your idea though - after I get that CS off. AND, I have just the right tools to do it myself!

Old 04-07-2010, 12:36 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, when we men do that kind of stuff, we don't tell anybody about it, and we come up with alternative scenarios for how the bike got damaged.

Glad all is well, and you didn't get hurt.

Quick Reply: Finally mustered up the courage to change my own fluids....