General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

earplugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:17 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Years ago when started noticing ringing in the ears,panicked and thought earplugs were in order.Right away was missing something,that beautiful twin cylinder sound.Whatever hearing loss goes with it I accept!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:21 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I got some from cvs. work fine, yet I don't wear them. The problem I have is my ears get really sweaty with them in(Florida heat). Also they make me ride really fast cause I don't have the wind as sort of a note to keep the speed down, don't really need a ticket for doing 80 in a 45. I would wear em on a long run for sure though. Actually I probably would wear noise canceling earphones hooked to an I-pod.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:43 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Custom-fitted plugs all the way. I can still hear the bike and the conversation, but they cut down on the wind noise, which is what gives my ears problems. 9-10 hour days and I have no problem hearing when I stop riding. I also find that I'm less fatigued after long rides. I won't ride without them now.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:47 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
Years ago when started noticing ringing in the ears,panicked and thought earplugs were in order.Right away was missing something,that beautiful twin cylinder sound.Whatever hearing loss goes with it I accept!
When your hearing is totally gone, I wonder how that "beautiful twin cylinder" is gonna sound?

To the OP, if you are experiencing ringing in the ear (tinnitus), you have already done irreversible damage. Even with your FF helmet, you should wear ear protection.

P.S.- You will be less fatigued on your bunburner, or any ride, when using ear protection.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:05 AM
first dyna 07
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Man I got mine in the CVS or Drug store ,also saw them in K mart .

Old 04-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Dragan
Tourer

I spent most of my adult life in aviation and used ear plugs all the time. For years we just bought the throw-aways by the case-full, and they work really well for most people. The problem with them is that some people have smaller ear openings than others, and extended wear of the expanding foam plugs can get downright painful; they expand to a point where they hurt.
about 10 years ago the company started bringing in a company each year and having custom plugs made for everyone that needs them. They don't have the same "absolute" noise reduction levels ( the ones we use rate at 29 Db reduction compared to 31-33 Db with foamies), but...you can hear normal conversations with the cast ones, and they aren't painful after 5 or 6 hours like the foamies can be. I use my custom plugs riding all the time, wouldn't want to be without them. The downside is that they cost upwards of $50. a pair and they get lost just as easy as the 10 cent foamies

Old 04-07-2010, 09:23 AM
BigAlsRK
Road Master

Ear buds with my MP3 player work great for me.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Kski
Tourer

I have irreversable hearing damage anyway from being a flight line mechanic in the af. I'm back shop now but we still do some loud ****. Actually Im due for a hearing test tomorrow. Last year I rode my bike to it and aced it. Well see.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I started wearing foam plugs a few years ago...the kind you roll between fingers to compress then insert and they swell. They do reduce ability to hear normal conversation but are well worth that downside to protect hearing damage from wind noise and pipes. Pipes still come through clearly but somewhat muted and so do sirens when you start enjoying pipes too much. If I am gonna ride for more than 10 minutes or so then in goes the IPod using "aftermarket" foam/rubber plugs...at that point I can tell someone is talking because their mouth is moving. Hearing damage can be mitigated with a hearing aid...but tinnitus is forever.
John

Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 AM
BugDr
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brenn
I mostly use earplugs for shooting, but there are only 2 types that work for me - cheap foam and expensive molded to the inside of my ear. The rubber flanged ones like the Army issues me time and again do absolutely nothing.

You really can't beat the disposable foam ones. I have a case of 1,000 in my gun room.

The disposable foam ones are the most comfortable for me.

Quick Reply: earplugs