General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

efi to carb

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:21 PM
jaybird708
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default efi to carb

alright iv been thinking about doing it, taking the efi off the dyna and putting a carb on..whos done this?

Old 04-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why, the consistency of fuel injection is great, no choke. Fires right up. Sure it is harder to fix, unless you have the book and a way to read the codes and data. Then it is just as easy as a carb. You also gain HP and tq with FI.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:29 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't done it and probably wouldn't. Waste of money to me. I think it would be cheaper to just buy a carbed bike than waste my time converting. Just my opinion --you bike--your money. I have a carbed wideglide and a fi heritage. Like them as the way they are.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Going from EFI to Carb on a TC engine is not difficult at all, and I know many guys that have gone that route.

Check out the below link for detail information;

http://www.amm.haan.de/Carb/carb.htm

I currently own 7 Harley's, 2 of them are EFI and the rest are Carb'd.

When it comes to increasing horsepower and torque, and the ease of working on an engine, I prefer a Carb'd bike any day of the week....

Old 04-12-2010, 09:49 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
Going from EFI to Carb on a TC engine is not difficult at all, and I know many guys that have gone that route.

Check out the below link for detail information;

http://www.amm.haan.de/Carb/carb.htm

I currently own 7 Harley's, 2 of them are EFI and the rest are Carb'd.

When it comes to increasing horsepower and torque, and the ease of working on an engine, I prefer a Carb'd bike any day of the week....

Great link by the way!

Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybird708
alright iv been thinking about doing it, taking the efi off the dyna and putting a carb on..whos done this?
Guess my question to you is WHY? There is nothing to gain other than an easier rebuild...and this from someone who only owns carb bikes...

Think you should change? Here is a suggestion. Take your FI bike through Rocky Mountain National Park. Then borrow someone's (rent, whatever) carb only bike and see what happens to your performance. Night and day difference. You will never ever think twice about it again.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Guess my question to you is WHY? There is nothing to gain other than an easier rebuild...and this from someone who only owns carb bikes...

Think you should change? Here is a suggestion. Take your FI bike through Rocky Mountain National Park. Then borrow someone's (rent, whatever) carb only bike and see what happens to your performance. Night and day difference. You will never ever think twice about it again.
Another good point of EFI.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:26 AM
BigAlsRK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rode my carbed FXDL from San Antonio to Salida and then Denver CO...did Wolf Creek Pass...Estes Park and Mount Evans....did not have one bit of trouble.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,865 Likes on 6,239 Posts

Originally Posted by BigAlsRK
Rode my carbed FXDL from San Antonio to Salida and then Denver CO...did Wolf Creek Pass...Estes Park and Mount Evans....did not have one bit of trouble.
Same here......Up to 16,000 feet on my carbed FL and noticed no difference. I could understand altitude problems on an old Linkert or Bendix, but on newer carbs, CV stands for "Constant Velocity". EFI experts. Bah.

That being said, wouldn't changing back to carb would involve changing the gas tank? I thought the gas valve area for the petcock is different from an EFI tank (?).

Last edited by RHPAW; 04-14-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

My carbed bike has been to over 10,000 feet and never missed a beat.

Quick Reply: efi to carb