General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can one expect buying a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:28 PM
grumpygy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doyel's will not deal. Got a on sle T-shirt cause they had my size. But did not ask for it.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:23 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would never by new or used from a dealer, too many good used rides out there

Old 05-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't totally discount dealers. I had a pretty good experience buying a used bike from NYC Harley-Davidson last year (an '09 Sportster that was traded in after only 2 months and had only 200 miles on it). Next week I'm picking up a brand new 2010 Street Glide from them. A much larger purchase but because of my loyalty, they took care of me.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:32 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bottom line, you're buying a "starter kit" !! Though, you may not realize it for a few weeks!

Old 05-07-2010, 09:50 PM
mulch63
Road Master

There is a lot of good advice. Also expect to start spending lots of money on mods and chrome until your broke..

jim

Old 05-07-2010, 10:18 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Why ask anyone else? You know what you want and what you want to pay. Make an offer to the dealer/private party and if it is not accepted walk away. It is that simple. Just keep going until you score. so many used bikes are for sale that you are in the captains seat.

To many don't understand the power of walking away. I know a person who claims that you should walk away at least twice to get the best deal.

By the way they are service contracts and not warranties. I go with Consumers Reports that they are a rip off.

I have bought 8 bikes in the last 6 years and I only deal at two dealers. Both know they will lose the sale if they even mention the add on crap.

Last edited by lh4x4; 05-07-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:29 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brave93
I have never bought a motorcycle so I'm trying to understand how it may or may not relate to buying a car. My choice would very likely be used (4-7yrs).

How much room is there in the price to negotiate and what is a good source to find reasonable retail values of used bikes? Is there more room for negotiation on new bikes? I will need financing for part of either purchase (used or new).

Will I be asked/encouraged/strongly persuaded/forced to buy a maintenance plan and/or extended warranty and if so, how much does this run?

I've surfed a few dealers and notice dealer fees and administrative fees. Are there negotiable, can one just refuse to pay them or no deal? How strong do dealers stick to these fees?

Are there any other things they will try to sell me that I need to know about? I really want to know what to expect, what I'm walking into, and be an informed buyer before visiting the dealer. I can be persuaded without knowledge but can stick to my guns if I know better based on others' experiences.

Thanks much and be safe out there.
Whatever choice you make there is one common denominator...You won't regret it!! When you do make that choice you will find the best form of therapy that was ever created!!!!!

Old 05-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Mr Haus
Road Warrior

Expect a real good time riding.

Expect a lot of looks when riding.

Expect the feeling of being free.

Expect comment "nice bike" from total strangers.

Expect to be jugded and called a "poser" from forum members.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:44 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I would not buy any additional warranties or service contracts. I have never purchased one on anything that I have bought and never regretted it.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:58 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by warrconn
If you're buying from a dealership, you have to have a valid motorcycle endorsement on your license, to start with.
Not always true. I bought mine in Nov '08, didn't get my endorsement until late Apr '09. Difference in state law perhaps.

Quick Reply: What can one expect buying a Harley?