Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   A Wobble Question (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/51356-a-wobble-question.html)

BlackOak 08-14-2006 09:00 PM

A Wobble Question

asks.........

I posted this question on a harley tech talk site, so I thought I would ask it here.

Riding back from Martin, Tn. on saturday from a PGR Mission, coming down hwy 51 ( big divided 4 lane). Thought I'd let the horses loose, since there were no traffic in either direction, and I could see a good 3 miles ahead of me.

As I got up to about a 105, I began to experience a gentle side to side front end wobble, taking it up to about 110, the wobble began to increase slightly, but still manageable. I rode along at about 108 for 3 or 4 miles, and the wobble was constant. Let her coast down, the wobble began to fade away, and was gone completely at about 100.

I began to ponder, what are causes to make a front end to react like this at high speeds. In the four years of owning this bike, I have always been able to bring it up to 110 - 115 without a wobble issue. So I will put it before the talent in forum.

What are the LISTED reasons that would make a front end Wobble at High Speeds over a 100mph?? Please no smart a$$ remarks about not riding at those speeds. If you can't contribute anything but off handed, wise a$$ed, or off topic comments, please do not reply to this posting.

Thanks in Advance....

jfanton 08-14-2006 09:15 PM

RE: A Wobble Question

wheel balancing...

stevegray 08-14-2006 09:18 PM

If I was diagnosing this problem for a car (which I have more mechanical experience with than bikes at this point) I would say warped rotors or just plain bad tires.

hleach52 08-14-2006 09:32 PM

Sounds like your front is out of balance:eek:

pittguy 08-14-2006 10:04 PM

Tire wear,road surfaces,fork oil,fork springs,wheel balance,WHEEL BRGS,ftr to back tire alignment,could also be soething you have added on recently-wind deflectors,taller shield-.Batwings arent very aerodynamic at that speed.

whaap 08-14-2006 10:05 PM

Could be a loose steering head.

bay13 08-14-2006 10:12 PM

True Track is a site sponsor, I'd give them a call, they know lots about the HD suspension and causes and corrections. Their phone number is 818-623-0697. If you go to their site there is a lot of page clicking to get to the number. Give them a call let them know you are from HDforums and I'm sure you will get your dimes worth after talking to them.

Spartan 08-14-2006 11:22 PM

If you have a batwing or windshield, that may be what is causing the wobble. If not, I would check the steering head, wheel bearings and front tire.

BlackOak 08-14-2006 11:33 PM

appreciates.....

I am going to start with the easy stuff. Pull the front wheel off and check the balance & bearings. Then I'll check the steering head, and work my way to the back of the bike. Appreciate all the input! More than I got at that other place,

Sanford 08-15-2006 12:05 AM

I know your starting at the front, which is all good, but don't discount the rear. At those speeds a rear wheel can throw it into a wobble also. You might check the spokes if you have them, I incountered a wobble once only to discover that my rear wheel had five broken spokes in it. Just another thought.