General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Wobble Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:00 PM
BlackOak
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Wobble Question

asks.........

I posted this question on a harley tech talk site, so I thought I would ask it here.

Riding back from Martin, Tn. on saturday from a PGR Mission, coming down hwy 51 ( big divided 4 lane). Thought I'd let the horses loose, since there were no traffic in either direction, and I could see a good 3 miles ahead of me.

As I got up to about a 105, I began to experience a gentle side to side front end wobble, taking it up to about 110, the wobble began to increase slightly, but still manageable. I rode along at about 108 for 3 or 4 miles, and the wobble was constant. Let her coast down, the wobble began to fade away, and was gone completely at about 100.

I began to ponder, what are causes to make a front end to react like this at high speeds. In the four years of owning this bike, I have always been able to bring it up to 110 - 115 without a wobble issue. So I will put it before the talent in forum.

What are the LISTED reasons that would make a front end Wobble at High Speeds over a 100mph?? Please no smart a$$ remarks about not riding at those speeds. If you can't contribute anything but off handed, wise a$$ed, or off topic comments, please do not reply to this posting.

Thanks in Advance....

Old 08-14-2006, 09:15 PM
jfanton
Road Captain
Default RE: A Wobble Question

wheel balancing...

Old 08-14-2006, 09:18 PM
stevegray
Road Captain

If I was diagnosing this problem for a car (which I have more mechanical experience with than bikes at this point) I would say warped rotors or just plain bad tires.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:32 PM
hleach52
Advanced

Sounds like your front is out of balance

Old 08-14-2006, 10:04 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tire wear,road surfaces,fork oil,fork springs,wheel balance,WHEEL BRGS,ftr to back tire alignment,could also be soething you have added on recently-wind deflectors,taller shield-.Batwings arent very aerodynamic at that speed.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:05 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be a loose steering head.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:12 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True Track is a site sponsor, I'd give them a call, they know lots about the HD suspension and causes and corrections. Their phone number is 818-623-0697. If you go to their site there is a lot of page clicking to get to the number. Give them a call let them know you are from HDforums and I'm sure you will get your dimes worth after talking to them.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

If you have a batwing or windshield, that may be what is causing the wobble. If not, I would check the steering head, wheel bearings and front tire.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:33 PM
BlackOak
Tourer

appreciates.....

I am going to start with the easy stuff. Pull the front wheel off and check the balance & bearings. Then I'll check the steering head, and work my way to the back of the bike. Appreciate all the input! More than I got at that other place,

Old 08-15-2006, 12:05 AM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know your starting at the front, which is all good, but don't discount the rear. At those speeds a rear wheel can throw it into a wobble also. You might check the spokes if you have them, I incountered a wobble once only to discover that my rear wheel had five broken spokes in it. Just another thought.

Quick Reply: A Wobble Question