General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Ultra, a Dyna and the Blue Ridge.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 PM
MollyDoll
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you had a great time.

If you want more twisties in Va, the route up to Natural Bridge should give you a good dose. I wish I could remember the actual route, but I wasn't paying attention and missed my exit on I-81 (I am famous for zoning out and missing exits) and took the route around NB to get to Lynchburg. Anyway, that route was so narrow and so twisty, that I actually got nauseous driving my car (and I love driving roads like that).

Plus, Natural Bridge is well worth the trip, although if you want information about the geology, you need to look it up in advance, since the site is privately owned by creationists (as a geologist, this breaks my heart).

Old 05-31-2010, 07:56 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably passed you somewhere, the wife and I took the ride, we live just down the mountain, rode the drive today to luray. We travel it a lot because we enjoy it so much.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:43 PM
BadOrange
Advanced

Thanks for sharing

Old 05-31-2010, 09:57 PM
BlackRob
Tourer

Thanks for helping make people aware of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The wife and I drove it for the first time last October and had one of the best vacations we've ever had. The whole time I kept thinking about how great it would be on a bike. Definitly one of those "before I die" things to do.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:04 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider1200
Nice video work on the wifes part. You did good sharing this with us Thanks! I like those bags of yours are they hand tooled?
The bags were made by Akers Ranch. A bunch of Amish and Mennonites. They hand tool bags for horses, so they made me this set for my bike. Thick saddle leather and all the beautiful hand tooling.

HTML Code:
where did you get your helmet, i have not seen one like that and i like it. wouldn't mind getting one for myself. is it an old one or a current brand that i can purchase? and no im not being a smart a** i would like to have one like it.
Its just the new biltwell helmet that I had pinstriped. Started as plain flat black with the chrome trim. 80 bucks.

And thanks guys. Yeah, being just 100 miles from the Blue Ridge is nice. Living in Chicago most my life you never get to see nice roads with mountains unless your willing to travel great distances!

Old 06-01-2010, 07:25 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

I'm impressed how well that video came out with your wife holding that camera. It was very stable and clear. I'm not sure my Kodak HD camera would've done that well.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:15 PM
fxe77rebel
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice pics. We're leaving Saturday to stay in Maggie Valley for a week. I'm torn between leather or not. Looks like you and the wife were comfortable without. Any suggestions anyone? What's the temps like up in the mountains?

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:43 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Oh yeah, it was high 80's all day. Only dropped 5-10 degrees over 3000 feet. We put a our riding gear in the bags in case we needed it. The only thing that wouldn't fit in the bags (in addition to my wifes jacket, my blue jean jacket and the rest of the piddly things) was my leather jacket itself. And I just rolled that up and strapped it to the luggage rack. But like you said, we didn't need very much. It was warm for the most part.