General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Damage_Inc
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish
That is right I do have slip ons.

Read the whole description "50 state legal with the EPA stamp". So if I got pulled over all of the numbers match so nothing would happen. And I can guarantee you I am not "loud pipes save life's biker" Engaged brains save lives not loud pipes.

But the issue that bringing this to a head is the idiot riders with thefollowing attitudes " screw the world it is my right to make all of the noise I want", " I am real loud look at me" and last "loud pipes save lives". You guys have brought this whole thing upon us all. And there will be legislation that will be even more restrited than in the near future, that is a fact.
I did read the whole description, the fact that you went to the trouble to put it there under both bikes was not lost on me. "50 state legal with the EPA stamp" don't mean **** to how loud the pipe is. It's merely a certification that it's a legal modification on a pollution controlled vehicle nothing more. So if you do get pulled over because LEO thinks your just a bit too loud he won't care if you think it's all good. I wasn't pegging you as running with the "too loud crew" and it's all well and good that you are a law abiding responsible citizen, but it doesn't doesn't matter. If someone else thinks your bike is too loud then it's too loud and when you automatically get thrown into the mix...Who's going to tell you your bike's too loud??

Old 06-04-2010, 12:55 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage_Inc
I did read the whole description, the fact that you went to the trouble to put it there under both bikes was not lost on me. "50 state legal with the EPA stamp" don't mean **** to how loud the pipe is. It's merely a certification that it's a legal modification on a pollution controlled vehicle nothing more. So if you do get pulled over because LEO thinks your just a bit too loud he won't care if you think it's all good. I wasn't pegging you as running with the "too loud crew" and it's all well and good that you are a law abiding responsible citizen, but it doesn't doesn't matter. If someone else thinks your bike is too loud then it's too loud and when you automatically get thrown into the mix...Who's going to tell you your bike's too loud??
No offense but you have no clue. EPA is the governing body for noise polution. The slip ons are stamped with db rating that matches the motor.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Damage_Inc
Tourer

No offense but I do have a clue... I've been modding cars and bikes for a long long time and while the EPA does govern noise pollution. The cert that you are standing behind is an air pollution certification.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Damage_Inc
Tourer

Not attacking so enlighten me if I'm out to lunch.... I don't live in Sunny California.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:12 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.explodingdog.com/dumbpict51/goodpie.gif

Last edited by VsTheWorld; 07-27-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:23 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by VsTheWorld
guys punch holes in factory mufflers - so just because the pipes are stamped or certified doesn't mean anything... if the noise meter registers your setup as a violation, you get a ticket
UHH-----If you modify a EPA approved slip on than it is not EPA approved anymore.

Granted their are idiots that will plunk down $300.00 and then render it usless with a drill motor. To each his own. They deserve the ticket.

You do not have to be loud to have good sound quality. There is difference

Just like being loud does not mean you have more power or are going faster.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:26 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

I just commented on that news story...I wonder if it will make it to print..

and what VS said is it.....hear one obnoxious ******* and label everyone else with the same pen.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Dr.Lou
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish
No offense but you have no clue. EPA is the governing body for noise polution. The slip ons are stamped with db rating that matches the motor.
True, but all that means is that at some time these parts met EPA standards. It doesn't potect you if they are modified or have become louder through use. If they emmit noise that's louder than state or federal regs they are now illegal - same with cars, etc.

The majority of officers either ride, appreciate a nice machine, or are apathetic to loud pipes, however, even they (me) can't stand having our noses rubbed it - if you're going to be an idiot, you're chances of being contacted go up exponentially. There' a time and place fo everything. Just don't be stupid about it and you should be fine.

Like with many things, it's always a few knuckleheads that screw it up for the rest of us. Yes, I am an officer of 26 years and have owned many Harleys over the past 30 years, and all with illegal pipes. I have never been stopped once, anywhere. Just a matter of using good discretion.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:01 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master

http://www.explodingdog.com/dumbpict51/goodpie.gif

Last edited by VsTheWorld; 07-27-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:13 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Lou
True, but all that means is that at some time these parts met EPA standards. It doesn't potect you if they are modified or have become louder through use. If they emmit noise that's louder than state or federal regs they are now illegal - same with cars, etc.

The majority of officers either ride, appreciate a nice machine, or are apathetic to loud pipes, however, even they (me) can't stand having our noses rubbed it - if you're going to be an idiot, you're chances of being contacted go up exponentially. There' a time and place fo everything. Just don't be stupid about it and you should be fine.

Like with many things, it's always a few knuckleheads that screw it up for the rest of us. Yes, I am an officer of 26 years and have owned many Harleys over the past 30 years, and all with illegal pipes. I have never been stopped once, anywhere. Just a matter of using good discretion.
Originally Posted by VsTheWorld
thats the point - just like a DOT helmet that someone has flattened the cushion with a baseball bat... just b/c the label says it was legal doesn't mean you cant get a ticket now

lots of cars were legal coming off the lot brand new, but then through age/abuse/lack of maintenance are no longer legal - so don't think that if a stock muffler is stamped as DOT compliant that its some sort of trump card if an officer wants to cite you for it when the noise meter says its illegal - maintaining your ride is your responsibility
Again this is a way over baked topic. You are missing the point , given any product will degrade and will need maintenance relative to compliance, you are correct 100%. I chose a slip on that is EPA compliant. EPA is the governing body not DOT. Because from the start I wanted to be in compliance. The point is and I restate the cause of the these laws are the mis-use of any compliant and non compliant products.

Quick Reply: loud pipes ?