General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding in a rain storm - using flashers

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:36 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default riding in a rain storm - using flashers

i got stuck on the road in a rainstorm. it was nighttime - dark. somewhat foggy. i found a semi doning the speed that i felt comfortable at an followed behind him. not close, like maybe 400-500 ft back. he had his flashers on cause he was going slow. so i put mine on also. thought it a good idea. the speed limit was like 65 and we were doing 45 - 50.

since then i have put on the flashers when i am caught in a storm.

so i was talking with a semi driver friend of mine and he mentioned that using the flashers might not be that good an idea cause some people might think that the flashers are for a stopped vehicle, and take some kind of evasive action which could result in an accident or whatever.

i said my whole purpose was to make sure that they saw me and was conscience of my going slower than most the traffic.

but i do understand his point.

so i am wondering what ya' all think about using flashers in a situation like a rainstorm.

i won't use them just in rain, but a downpour, heavy rain, fog, etc.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:39 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO if the weather gets so bad you need to use flashers, it's time to pull over and wait out the weather.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:44 AM
artz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (and I) have used flashers on a few occasions when like heavy rain and we are significantly slower than the speed limit. A good idea when you can't pull over.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Grammaton
Road Master

What someone does after they avoid me is irrelevant to me. If I feel like I need to use the four-ways, I do.

mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

the point is not that i need to use as much as is it a good idea to use them. in a couple of situatations driving from chicago to DC over memorial day, i got caught in a couple of downpours. not lite rain - downpours.

i was maybe going 10mph below the posted speed. but most everyone else was going slower also.

and sometimes 'pulling over' isn't possible, at least not for awhile.

i have no problem riding in the rain, but want to be as safe and visible as possible. on the same token don't want to cause an issue for someone else.

and i also have no problem pulling over getting a room or sitting having coffect or whatever. this is really for those times where it heavy and visibility is limited, but it is still an option to continue.

Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,887 Likes on 1,494 Posts

If it is raining that hard, I'll use them until I can get off the road.

If I can't maintain something close to the speed limit, I won't ride until I can. Too many people run up your *** already, rain just makes them more stupid.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Wingnut51
Tourer

Originally Posted by petemac
IMO if the weather gets so bad you need to use flashers, it's time to pull over and wait out the weather.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Bam Bam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My two cents...
  1. "flashers" are actually meant for parked vehicles and are not intended for driving. Most states have statutes stating "only vehicles that are disabled or lawfully stopped can have hazard lights in use."
  2. Visibility is bad enough at night, in the rain, without some flashing lights emitting concentric rings of strobing rain drops.
  3. The initial reaction of most drivers upon seeing lights, at night, in the rain, is to hit their brakes. This action transmitts to each driver behind them...and so on.
  4. If you are so uncomfortable you can't drive at a safe speed or simply can't see, park it.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 AM
sh57
Elite HDF Member

I agree, if you can't run close to the speed limit, you need to get off the road. With that being said I have been caught with nowhere to get off and raining so hard, no way to keep up with traffic. I then us my flashers, if somebody slams on brakes behind me, that is their problem, at least they didn't hit me.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:41 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
100% right on. If visability is that bad time to take a break, That includes sand storms.

Quick Reply: riding in a rain storm - using flashers