General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

real close to certain death today.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:31 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default real close to certain death today.

pops and i took a ride to the local stealer shop because he's considering trading in his 07 street glide for an 11 when they finally hit the floor.

we're coming to a major intersection and need to make a left.

there's a turning lane and we're riding staggered. i'm leading, in the left third of the lane, he's trailing, in the right third.

getting to the point of the thread...we're stuck in the intersection with oncoming traffic preventing us from turning. gonna have to wait for the red then quickly scoot thru...

light our light turns red and i prepare to go, let off the clutch, just begin to roll on the throttle when HOLY FECKING ****

here comes little miss thing in some little sedan doing about 55 straight thru a light that's been red for a few seconds.

this bitch came AROUND stopped traffic, barreled thru the left hand turn lane on the other side of the intersection and whipped it back around, just missing me, flying by puffing away on her cigarette.

i know i probably shouldn't have been where i was, sittin in the middle of the intersection waiting to make a turn but who here can say they haven't done that?

all day long i've been thinking that if she came thru one second later i'd be grill meat because i'd have released the clutch and rolled on my throttle, and been all teed up for her.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:38 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Happens way too much. She probably never missed a lick. Glad you made it through ok.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Slopneck
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing infuriates me like those type of drivers do. Glad you're ok, bro.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Bombarde32
Cruiser

Glad you made it. Happens way too often. Unfortunately with those types of drivers ... you could have been there in BigFoot and she still would have taken you on.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:01 PM
txhdguy
Cruiser

Thas bull glad you are ok. I hate idiot drivers wish someone would take them out of the gene pool.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:07 PM
road_king_rob
Tourer

Glad you're ok. Those type of drivers and these kind of stories remind me to always be extra careful while I'm riding - especially in town.

Cagers often ask me if I'm worried driving down the highway doing 75mph on 2 wheels. I tell them I'm much more concerned putting around town doing 30.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the laws in New York, but stopping in the intersection out here in California to wait for a clear left turn is legal, and often the only way you'll get on your way... Glad you're okay, sure does blow though.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:07 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

What you did was called "taking command of the intersection". Here in Ohio it is taught as part of drivers ed. I distrust doing it because of exactly what happened to you.

Glad you came out ok...

Old 06-11-2010, 07:14 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
What you did was called "taking command of the intersection". Here in Ohio it is taught as part of drivers ed. I distrust doing it because of exactly what happened to you.

Glad you came out ok...
We call it "establishing your turn" I would never do it on a bike.

Glad no one was hurt....including little miss

Old 06-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Haywired
Road Master

There's nothing wrong with waiting to turn like you described. Have to have your head on a swivel watching everything these days. Glad you're O.K.

Quick Reply: real close to certain death today.