General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2 Cents on Harley Snobbery

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:27 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schumacher
you're the one that said "american rice"
The only american rice is Toyota, Honda, etc.

You don't drive a toyota, do ya?
Those are Japanese companies. They are Japanese Rice, but since they do have plants in the states, perhaps they more like Japanese Hamburgers...

Old 06-22-2010, 04:28 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

"I love being talked down to"

Old 06-22-2010, 04:33 PM
DocJ
Road Master

"I love being talked down to"
Is this the third time I've seen you post that crazy cartoon character? I think you have an unhealthy obsession.

I'm not talking down to YOU. If you feel I am, perhaps you are being overly sensitive. This is the internet, so I can understand if you feel I am being harsh, but don't think that way. Just go back to my original post and read it again.

I don't like Victory, and it is my right to have that opinion. If you don't like it, too bad. Get over it. But, I do want you to know that I AM glad that you have found a bike that you are personally very happy with. I know you aren't too thrilled about Harley-Davidson. So what? Who cares? I don't. I have my opinions, you have yours. If we both ride and enjoy it, what else does it matter.

However, I will still post my opinions, and you can post yours. In the long run, people will just buy what they want regardless.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:36 PM
schumacher
Club Member

It's not a crazy cartoon character, it's a mouse lemur. I thought you knew your animals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fKms...eature=related

Old 06-22-2010, 04:40 PM
DocJ
Road Master

It's not a crazy cartoon character, it's a mouse lemur. I thought you knew your animals
LOL...real ones don't look quite like that, though...Haha!

I also don't watch much TV...

Old 06-22-2010, 04:43 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by CruzinLow
I see alot of posts putting down bikes made by other makers on this forum, especially the "rice burners" and their plastic parts. Most of this criticism seems misplaced and unnecessary to me. I like ALL bikes, and admire ALL riders. It's just my choice to ride a hog, and I've been doing so for years.

But

My wife just got her endorsement, and she dearly wants a hog (someday). I bought her a Yamaha Virago 250 to start off with (which she loves, BTW). While at the "rice burner" dealer last week to pick up her bike, I had the chance to check out the new VMAX. I swear to God it's all I've been thinking about since (I think I might even have gotten a chubbie when I was checking it out). It is the meanest looking bike I have ever seen, the fit and finish are near perfection, it just reeks of advanced technology (of which I'm a big fan), and, at less than 20 grand, has more power than THREE stock V-Twins combined. The V-Rod (the proper HD camparison model and HD's feeble attempt to compete in the real world) is still (sadly) the VMAX's little, bowing, boot-licking bitch in each and every way.

You can say what you want about the "rice burner" makers, but they CAN build a nice machine when they want to.
I agree the V-Max is a great bike, but also has its limitations, among them a small gas tank and limited range.

Remember: Harleys are apples, all other bikes are oranges. They're not really comparable.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:50 PM
schumacher
Club Member

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
Schu, you stirrin' the pot again? Carry on!

Your Victory is a smart lookin' scoot! (Now I'm stirrin' the pot!)
no...not really.....have to be good in here now. Taken a lot of guff, and haven't really been able to defend myself much.

The CR reminds me a lot more of a BMW or something else european. Jap bikes have that precision feel to them, and the Vic does not.

and I'll agree to disagree that one should call any american company with an american product "rice"
that's un-american in my book (and yes, I did serve this country).
But I took my oath just so people like you had the right to say that.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:02 PM
bluesmanjesse
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I own an Ultra so I could pretty much have afforded any bike I wanted within reason,I chose a Harley. I admire the technology in the Jap and German bikes and whenever a friend lets me take a ride on one of those bikes I usually enjoy it but I wouldn't want to live with one of those bikes on a daily basis,they are mostly about performance and rider comfort is an afterthought. If canyon carving is your thing buy one of those bikes I say,that's not my thing though,I enjoy a nice comphy ride on what I consider a classicly good looking bike,it goes fast enough for me and will outperform my riding ability truth be told.

Is the Honda Goldwing a great bike? Yes,just not my thing. The Vmax is a beast no question and it will have it's place in motorcycle history.

The way I see it if you look at a 20 year old Harley in an old picture it still looks cool,a 20 year old Jap bike sometimes looks a little cheesy and dated. BMW's are a different story,their styling seems to stand the test of time better,like the British bikes.

If I ever buy another bike besides a Harley it will probably be an old Triumph Bonneville just because personally I have always liked them,they just have that coolness "X factor" just like a Harley,you can't put your finger on it but you just know it's cool, an Old Bonny might not be the best machine ever made from a technical standpoint but you can't deny it's cool.

Examples...

Still cool....

Kinda Cheesy IMHO...

Still Cool....

Old 06-22-2010, 05:36 PM
matthew70407
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't care what anyone drives as long as they don't ask to drive mine.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:42 PM
jlfabian
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see more people on two wheels (preferably V-twin engines) than on four wheels. Those crazy folks that have to ride three wheels, well, I don't know about them :-) One of the necessary evils is that we have to have those that ride 6- or more wheels (like 18 wheelers).

Having once done the deed of driving tracked vehicles, I prefer those only in times of war, and I don't prefer war. I prefer riding my Harley on the open road. And I wave at everybody, regardless of make or manufacture, except for those on four or more wheels (yeah, I wave at trikers too :-), and I don't care if you wave back or not or if you're riding a Harley or not, tho' I do feel a bit strange when I wave at those on mopeds...

jl

Quick Reply: My 2 Cents on Harley Snobbery