General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.D. dealer selling hondas

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:49 AM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was likely used. New rebels go for $4k.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:59 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 462 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by oneIozz
(mortgage + tuition = tight budget)
I don't want to highjack the thread, but am I just splitting hairs here or is this a better idea than getting an HD right out of the gate?
No body but YOU... can make that decision.....there's nothing wrong with learning on a metric.... heck there's nothing wrong with riding one for as long as you wish.

this IS a H-D forum... and we tend to be partical towards them..... but I'd rather rider 500 miles alongside a metric, than park at a bar, with a dozen HD's...

it's all about what works for YOU..... it's your money... not theirs... Better to ride.... than to sit at home, and WISH you could ride (oh.... and take a rider's class...... before you purchase....)

Old 06-27-2010, 06:19 AM
WVleo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those Honda Rebels have a good reputation and following around here. I think they had a couple for the MSF course I took to get My Wv motorcycle endorsement. As for the dealer using a Honda to sell Harleys, whatever works to keep Your lights on I say, economy sucks and He has payrole to meet. WVleo

Old 06-27-2010, 06:36 AM
fatvette
Cruiser

The dealer here on the north side of Indy sells Harley's and Honda's. The building is labeled as Harley but on the inside it's Harley on one side and Honda's on the other.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:57 AM
JunkHead
Cruiser

The old Harley dealership here sold Honda and only had them on the show room floor in the early and mid 90's when you had to order and wait 6 months to a year for a Harley

Old 06-27-2010, 07:02 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leicafish
Nothing funny, but a responsible way to get a loyal customer.

Makes alot to sense to me.
I agree 100%

Old 06-27-2010, 07:11 AM
ThrusterK
Cruiser

Hell, the local Treasure Coast dealer here sells both HD's and Ridleys... Ridley, you know, the automatic transmission bike....

Old 06-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Dub
The HD dealer here in Cheyenne is also a Honda dealer. Same showroom and everything.
Cleveland Harley does the same.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:22 AM
hendo70
Novice
Wink

We have 2 HD dealerships near me that sell metric. The Harley dealership in Salina, KS sells Honda while the dealership in Junction City, KS sells Kawasaki and Suzuki.

I have a buddy that had never owned a street bike and wanted to get into a new bike cheap to see if he would enjoy it. The guy is 6'4 300+ lbs so a Rebel would not have worked for him in his case. He bought a brand new Honda VTX at a deep discount at the Salina dealership.

Of course, now when he goes into that dealership he is not looking at the Honda's. He goes straight to the HD's to check them out and dream. In fact, I have never heard him say I can't wait to get a new Honda, but he sure loves to dream about an HD. I guarentee his next bike will be a Street Glide once he can get the funds together.

So from this perspective the HD dealerships are selling metric bikes, but also getting people in the door to look at HD's in the process. So that business model is not all bad IMO.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:49 AM
karlkcfi
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started on a honda cb900c, moved up/down to a virago 700 and then finally bought my first Harley, a 1200 sporty. Now I traded to a Dyna... I do a lot of my own maintenance and the jap bikes were a major learning experience, which actually carried over to the harleys.
Looking for a 450 rebel or 535 virago for my wife to learn on...wish they still made them.

Quick Reply: H.D. dealer selling hondas