General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Army n' Scoots

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:32 PM
grumpygy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider
garymann has it right. The DoD loses so many young troops a year in bike "accidents" they went overboard on the safety gear trying to prevent at least a couple of them. The vets from SWA were coming home, a wad of cash in their pockets, and looking for some adrenaline rush to replace what they had just left, and quite a few went out, bought big metric sport bikes, with no real bike experience. The end result was a big spike in vehicle fatalities. Obviously, it's not good for unit cohesiveness to lose several guys from a squad, platoon, company, or whatever, so they decided to make it a PITA to ride anywhere near/on a base. Last year the stats actually improved on DoD motorcycle fatalities. This year though the trend is in the wrong direction, so look for more draconian regs imposed by local commanders to try and prevent you from being one of them.
Fully agree in the 90's I got a letter from the Commanding General of FSSG. I as a Motorcycle rider had to submite a suggestion to stop the deaths that were happening. This letter was sent to all SNCO's who rode.

My one and still needed is the required safety course needs to be easier to get into. NMost of the guys we lost were rding in town when they lost it. They could not ride on base yet cause they were waiting to take the course.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:48 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Clip
When I was in the Army, you could get a General or Other-Than-Honorable discharge for riding a motorcycle.
Ya but thats because horses were so much more popular then.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 PM
screamin softail
Road Master

Not just the army. I am retired Air Force and we had to go through all that too. By the way thanks for your service.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:57 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to do the same thing just to drop something off on any base around here.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:59 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Combat_Soldat
Why does the army make you dress up like a damn power ranger just to ride your bike? Mandatory Items Include: Full face helmet "in a state with no hemlet laws",
Since when is it "full face helmet"? Last time I checked it was just "DOT helmet."

base a MP scurried off and
Are you a Marine? Not many people in the Army say "base" or find MP's at the gate, rather than DOD police.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I did my 20 and find it silly as heel that to have to go through a MSC and wear all of that crap. But it's the rules so let it go, suck it up and Power Ranger on.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Fister
Advanced

Here is an excerpt from the current DOD Regulation regarding Motorcycle and ATV Operation in both Tactical and non-tactical environment dated 2 April 2010.

Motorcycle and ATV Operations
(1) Tactical Motorcycle and ATV Operations. Develop and approve safety requirements for tactical motorcycles and ATVs integrating operational risk management into tactics, techniques, and procedures training.
(2) Mirrors. Equip Government-owned motorcycles operated on a roadway with both left-hand and right-hand rear view mirrors mounted on the handlebar or fairing.
(3) Headlights. Require that when operated on any installation, in both on- and off-road modes, all Government-owned or privately owned motorcycles, mopeds, motor scooters, and ATVs (when equipped) have headlights turned on at all times, except where prohibited during military mission or by State, local, or host-nation law.
(4) Motorcycle and ATV Rider Protection. Ensure that all individuals covered by this Instruction wear the following PPE while riding motorcycles and ATVs.
(a) Helmets
1. For personnel riding motorcycles and ATVs in the United States, helmets shall be certified to meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 218, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Standard 22-05, British Standard 6658, or Snell Standard M2005 (References (vw), (wx), (xy), and (yz)).
2. For personnel riding motorcycles and ATVs outside the United States, helmets must meet the host nation standards. In those instances where the host nation has no standard, helmets must, at a minimum, meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety standard (Reference (w)).
3. Unit commanders may authorize the use of combat helmets for operating tactical vehicles (e.g., motorcycles and ATVs) during operations and training based on an operational risk assessment.
4. All helmets shall be properly fastened under the chin.
(b) Eye Protection. Eye protection designed to meet or exceed American National Standards Institute Standard Z87.1-2003 (Reference (zaa)) for impact and shatter resistance includes goggles, wraparound glasses, or a full-face shield (properly attached to a helmet). A windshield or fairing does not constitute eye protection.
(c) Foot Protection. Foot protection includes sturdy over-the-ankle footwear that affords protection for the feet and ankles (durable leather or ballistic-type cloth athletic shoes that cover the ankles may be worn).
(d) Protective Clothing. Protective clothing includes long-sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full-fingered gloves or mittens made from leather or other abrasion-resistant material. Motorcycle jackets and pants constructed of abrasion-resistant materials such as leather, Kevlar®, or Cordura® and containing impact-absorbing padding are strongly encouraged. Riders are encouraged to select PPE that incorporates fluorescent colors and retro-reflective material.
(e) Tactical Motorcycle and ATV Rider Protection. The PPE for Government-owned motorcycle and ATV operators during off-road operations should also include knee and shin guards and padded gloves.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/605504p.pdf

Like everything else that is military, the Commander can add to, but cannot take away from the standard. This gives individual installation commanders the right to add to the current DOD regulations. That is why you see crazy ****, like full faced helmets and one post, or base, a full bright orange reflective vests on another.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 PM
richro123
Cruiser

Because you are Government Property. You cannot damage yourself or you will be in deep trouble.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all above is right you belong to the man until you get out deal with it i would of pulled over and stopped and asked what the f.... he was doing or complain to the post co. about his driving

Old 06-28-2010, 08:14 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cowpokey is the beer still cold down Aargon alley? Still have the steam mondu tent down at the end? Me and a friend drank many Soju lemonade down that alley.

Quick Reply: The Army n' Scoots