General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Couple goes Down because of a Deer...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:00 PM
yankeeflyer72
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Couple goes Down because of a Deer...

People I`ve ridden with in the past. The article says Head injuries which included multiple fractures of the skull. Don`t know if she has regained consciousness or not.

This stuff can happen in the blink of an eye. Everyone be careful out there.

SOUTH KITSAP —
A 40-year-old Poulsbo woman with critical injuries was flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle late Saturday night after the motorcycle on which she was a passenger struck a deer.

A 50-year-old Poulsbo man was driving a 2001 Harley-Davidson west on Highway 16 near the Burley-Olalla Road interchange at about 11:30 p.m. when a deer jumped over the guardrail and into the road, according to the Washington State Patrol.

The man stayed with the bike, which went down, but the woman was thrown off and sustained head injuries. She was in critical condition Sunday morning. The man hurt his left hand but wasn’t taken to the hospital. The Harley was totaled.

Both riders were wearing helmets. Drugs or alcohol were not factors, according to the State Patrol.

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/j...#ixzz0sAhEHKUK

UPDATE: Just heard that the gal`s condition has been upgraded from Critical to Serious. She`s not out of the woods yet but at least her condition is improving. Just a word of thanks to all the well wishers out there. Ride Safe and Stay Alert....

Last edited by yankeeflyer72; 06-29-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:32 PM
stevent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read about that, my prayers go out to her.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 PM
dano309
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

sad news again...........dang deers anyway..........

be careful out there peeps.......expect the unexpected..........

thoughts & prayes sent to both him & her.........

Last edited by dano309; 06-28-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:52 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Keep your eye's peeled.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is why my wife won't ride with me, at least not until the kids are older... just in the past 6 months i've probably had 10 close calls with deer, killed one bird, and probably killed a groundhog when i hit him.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:57 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a shame that things like that happen. Especially something that you really cannot do anything about. There is no controlling what a deer will do, and they are so damn fast and come out of nowhere. Most of the time nobody would be able to avoid it completely.

I hope the best for both of them.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:58 PM
willa412
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG praying for both of them especially the woman of course. It's hard to read something like this because you know they've taken the precautions to be safe and all - they just had really bad luck and the deer had really bad timing.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:02 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

99 times out of 100 if you're really paying attention you can avoid the deer. it's just that one time you're either dazing or it's the perfect storm, blind turn, deer decides to reverse direction directly into your swerve that'll kill you.

they need to make hunting season longer, where i am the deer end up eating pine needles of trees because they're all starving. they have no natural predators in the area (besides me)...

Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not that it matters, but from the story where the deer jumped over a guardrail into the road, unless he stopped and then started again once he hit the road, I can't see anyone being able to avoid it. And a good portion of the collisions I have seen, both bike and car, the deer actually runs into the side of the vehicle.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:15 PM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never hit one with a bike, but I have hit one with my truck where it jumped out of a ditch on the side of the road about 2 feet in front of me while doing about 50mph. No Way I could avoid the thing. I have been in 2 cars when a deer jumped out of a ditch on the side of the road and directly into the side of a car. Now all of these are on back country roads. I have avoided several deer on bigger roads where you can see them and slow down before getting close, but on the smaller roads it can be very tough if not impossible to actually see them before they are right there.

Thoughts and Prayers out to them....

Phil

Quick Reply: Another Couple goes Down because of a Deer...