General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of Apes. WOW!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:29 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Poacher13
I've been wanting to get some apes put
on my bike. So today I had a little freetime.
Rode down to a local indy. He prices me a set
of Wild 1 16", 1 1/4 bars installed for 600-650.

What are some of you guys finding out there for
pricing?
That was about right? You must have plenty of spare money burning a hole in your pocket.

When I wanted some drag bars I got Harley bars from a Night Train on Ebay for about $40-45. Installation cost $0. Seemed about right to me. Obviously, there is more to it when you have to extend the cables, but I'd still do it myself. I'm no mechanic, but working on motorcycles is pretty easy.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:35 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 316 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Haus
I know... I am sorry. But I think my new one is even more distracting.
I was talking about the OP repeating the question.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

$600-650 is not a bad price to pay a qualified shop to do the work. Cheaper to do it yourself, but if you don't want to, thats a fair number.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I scored a set of 16" Chubby apes with all the required braided cables (clutch, throttle, idle and brake) for just over $100 shipped on Ebay a few years ago. I do all my own work, so I would choke at being quoted over a grand!!!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing that you need to know is it takes some time to integrally wire the bars. That is why the labor cost are up. Most dealer I hear are quoting 8 hours labor. It easily took me over 8 hours to do mine. I did it in 2 days. One day just for the wiring the bars (after taking apart and putting back together the molex I needed to a break). It is not hard just tedious.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it yourself... You will save a few hundred bucks, that will go a long way in the tank or in other mods!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Poacher13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do like the way the
drag bars look but on
long rides they are a pain.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that is a good price, i am in the process of having h.d. dealer do it, 660 labor, what people here do not understand alot of us do not have the tools or no how, or care to work on our bikes esp something like handle bars and wirieng, pretty important, for you guys who buy off ebay and such good for you and you guys who work on your bikes good for you I just do not want to period, so don`t flame some us for keeping dealers working, pease of mind is worth the extra money for me, i also pay the dealer to change my oil, car, and trk to, oh yeah same with boat

Old 06-30-2010, 12:22 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
that is a good price, i am in the process of having h.d. dealer do it, 660 labor, what people here do not understand alot of us do not have the tools or no how, or care to work on our bikes esp something like handle bars and wirieng, pretty important, for you guys who buy off ebay and such good for you and you guys who work on your bikes good for you I just do not want to period, so don`t flame some us for keeping dealers working, pease of mind is worth the extra money for me, i also pay the dealer to change my oil, car, and trk to, oh yeah same with boat
wideglidebob, I would never flame a guy for getting work done at a dealer. At least you know it should be getting done right. Granted not all people know how, or even want to work on their own bikes.

I think most people who do their own work knows what things cost. When a place quotes a job for $1,000 and I know the parts cost less than $400 (unless you want premium bars like Carlini's), It sounds like price gouging to me. I think that's what a lot of the comments are directed towards, not the fact that people don't do their own work.

And we're talking handlebar swap not engine rebuilding, how much labor time are some of these dealers quoting!?!?!?!

Last edited by BikerV; 06-30-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:23 PM
lacctv_com
Banned

I got the wild one 12 ½ chubbys, magnum chrome cables, wire extension kit and new riser bushings.

I have a EG with V&H power duels so I had to drop the headers to access the clutch cover for the new cable.
The bit<h was the wiring... and I work with wires every day, the throttle by wire with the other wires make a tight fit on the right side.
Took about 12 hours and about 8 beers
Cost about 600.00

Im so glad I decided to go this route looks good and straighten my back out.

Quick Reply: Cost of Apes. WOW!!!!