General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hands fall asleep

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:42 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

It's not the bike, not the gloves, it's your circulation. See a doctor.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:56 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,549 Likes on 480 Posts

Like they said, try to determine if it isn't your wrist and not the bars. I have a bum left wrist that will numb out in short order if my bars aren't just right. Do your bars put your wrist in a turned out position? I had to bend the ends of my bars forward 1 1/2 inches in order to put my wrist in a more "Neutral" position. Help out a bunch. I'm just trying everything I can to keep putting off the surgery.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:50 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default numb hand fix

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
While riding I find myself losing feeling in my fingertips. I don't white-knuckle the grips either. If nothing else, I am holding them too lightly.

I'm wondering if it is the stock grips I need to change, my gloves (fingerless) or go to a doctor.
1-Loose gel-padded gloves (not fingerless). $35
2-Rubber Kury throttle rest(s). $12

Old 07-21-2010, 07:53 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??????

I've wondered about this stuff for a long time. Is it the blood being cut off or a nerve being pinched? Any Doctors on here??

It happens to me but usually in the right shoulder. When I lean forward to put slack in my arm it goes away.

I've seen lots of photos with guys riding with their arms hanging in odd positions. Maybe its to shake out the numbness??

We're kinda stuck with the throttle though...hard to reposition the arm or hand and still go down the road in a good/safe fashion...

Old 07-21-2010, 08:09 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For sure don't hold your wrists downward,,, it could be something as simple as handlebar position, have you ever moved them to different positions and tried that, forward, middle, back? Any bike I have ever owned I try different bar positions until it's comfortable, also the style of bar makes a difference, try these things first, also with gloves make sure they are not too small, lots of folks want them skin tight because they say they can feel better, but you want them a tad loose if anything and not strapped tight either, really your bike can run down the road without your hands on the bars at all and you say you don't grip tight so it's not that.

Don't know your age but in this computer age you could have some carpel tunnel going on, try all the glove and bar stuff first and then if you keep having problems go see a neurologist and have a NCS nerve conductivity study to see if you do have carpel tunnel syndrome or something else going on. My guess is the gloves and bar position.

Originally Posted by SeeMeDo
keep your wrist straight don't rock your arms down what I'm talking about is if your arms are on the table hands down flat now lift up your hands keeping your arms on the table. when your hands are high on the bars and you drop your arms down it will restrict blood flow to your hands. Make sure you don't lock out your elbows too.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:09 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience, LOOSE fitting, SOFT, and PLIABLE gloves are the best for extended riding. I have an old pair of dirt bike gloves that I prefer. I've tried several of the "new" gloves and DO NOT like them. Seems every glove maker is into thick, non-pliable gloves with padding everywhere (that puts pressure on your circulation system). ANYTHING that binds the fingers/hand WILL cause tingling/numbness/etc after a while. I want the loose, soft, and pliable type of glove. Hard to find nowadays.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Throttle stop, throttle thumb rocker or cruise control will help the throttle hand. I have cruise now (wonderful on long trips) and before that I used the thumb rocker.

Originally Posted by hommes
I've wondered about this stuff for a long time. Is it the blood being cut off or a nerve being pinched? Any Doctors on here??

It happens to me but usually in the right shoulder. When I lean forward to put slack in my arm it goes away.

I've seen lots of photos with guys riding with their arms hanging in odd positions. Maybe its to shake out the numbness??

We're kinda stuck with the throttle though...hard to reposition the arm or hand and still go down the road in a good/safe fashion...

Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Qwi gloves. Thunder press did a review on them and claimed they stopped all numbness compared to using other brands.

Best of all they won't void the warranty on your transmission.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:21 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

any other CTS that U Have... check out U systems at work...

Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 PM
mjsawatzky
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a true believer in the bars and the pressure points in your hands. My hands always go numb on my Fat Bob and never on the Road King with apes. Figure that out!! My dad had a bad problem with this and turns out he had Carpal Tunnel. A quick surgery on the one hand and the problem is gone. Still waiting for surgery on the other.

Quick Reply: Hands fall asleep