General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loading Bike in truck bed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 05:57 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

Back your rear tires into a ditch and just drive it in or roll it out. Have done it a couple times. No sweat. Don't even need help.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:04 AM
garyl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I trailer occasionally. Also use the bed of my truck. Never had issues with loading or unloading. Have used the local dealers loading dock without hassle. But, like other have said, be sure and have help available.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:05 AM
WebWolf
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 18 Posts

Bikes are made to RIDE, not truck or trailer...

Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,278 Posts

I've had the sporty in the bed of my pickup a time or two. All you need is about 5 strong guys to lift it in. I've also used a ramp but you have to find a place where you can get the rear of the truck down low so it is easier to load/unload the bike.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:44 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ltmdl90
Well i have very limited time to ride out and back. Oh trust me. My bike is only 3 weeks old and has many miles on it. It is all about time i have. Plus when i can stay @ a campground in my new camper for the entire stay for 200.00 not 300.00 a night in a motel. This is the first time i have ever towed a motorcycle. So what.
There's always a few bad-*** bikers who thump their chests and sneer at anyone who puts a bike on a trailer -- ignore them. It's your bike, so do what you want with it.

And good luck with the loading/unloading! I've never done it, but have helped others do that a few times -- can be a scary process!

Old 07-27-2010, 06:46 AM
*Merlin*
Cruiser

Get Harry Potter to turn your bike into a hunting dog, they can get into the back of a pickup truck all by themselves. LOL

Old 07-27-2010, 07:00 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 316 Likes on 181 Posts

Back the truck into a ditch or up against a hill so the ramps don't have to be as steep.
Use plenty of tie downs, jiffy stand up, bike in neutral.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:22 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Ya just need some good solid platforms for your feet so you can kinda walk the bike up under power. I brought my RG out to AZ in the back of my Ford Ranger. Loaded and inloaded it myself.

The ramp was a cheap dirt bike ramp, but I built a wood block to support the hinge point. The foot ramps all fold up and fit into the truck next to the bike with the ramp. I was limited on space to carry more stuff as I was going on a 4 month business trip out here so I had to improvise with the more compact ramp system. No room for the wider type of ramp.

I built a holder for the front wheel so the bike would stay upright while I tied it down plus wouldn't move around during transport.

I put a plank down in the bed of the truck so the rear wheel wouldn't be riding on the tailgate. That would have destroyed the gate plus dumped the bike out the back somewhere on the highway.

Over looking Tucson, AZ
Now that takes ***** in a ranger... nicely done but I would not attempt it. lol

My brother has done it many times but I always cringe when I helped him unload it. We used to do it with sport bikes all the time. 2 guys can just lift them in the bed. I don't see that happening with a dresser.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:25 AM
DMJFatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to sell my trailer when I moved to Germany so I bought some ramps. They are about 10 feet long and 4 feet wide. I put a sheet of ply wood in the bed and ride the bike up the ramps no problem. Moved lots of friends bikes this way also. Make sure it is tied down good, not sure I would leave it in neutral though.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:32 AM
coiledup
Tourer

If you have 3A and you have motorcycle coverage, you can call the local AAA tower and have them send a flatbed out, have him back up to the bed of your truck and you can roll your bike onto the flatbed. move your truck and he can set the bed on the ground and you ride it off. give him your card and you are done.

Quick Reply: Loading Bike in truck bed.