General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OTD pricing inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 AM
Nickrc3
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And your point is?
Oh Yeah, you must be smart enough to make a point first!

Try this one first.

See Spot run. Run Spot run. Look Jane look. See Spot run. -- Now you try it.
Good one Harleybass!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah I care more about the OTD price then everything broken down. I mean say a bike has an MSRP of $15,000 and you get it for $14,500 OTD then you did good, since all the tax and fees will be in the 14.5. I agree the some dealers will lower the doc and set up fees and all that, but at the end of the day it's all in how much cash you had to part with or how much your loan is for.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not even thinking about a new one right now. I bought the 07 Road King I have now, in Feb 09. It was a Harley Credit ( Eagle Mark) repo. A friend of mine goes to the Powersports Auctions in Dallas. I got the 07 Road King w/ 16,000 mi. and still in warranty for $12,500. So you have a year and a half old bike for a $4000 discount and it's still in warranty.
He said, at that time, Harley had Repo'd bikes in storage, in several locations around the country. They were selling them at Powersports auctions, a few at a time, to keep from undermining the Harley resale value, thus destroying the new bike market also.

Last edited by Harleybass; 08-10-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:01 PM
ebigfish
Road Captain

Originally Posted by skootchnc
Yup.... you are indeed screwed...

Frankly it wouldn't make any sense to me, for ANYONE to travel 1000 miles to buy a bike. Factoring in the expenses of travel. (food, fuel, lodging) plus their time..... It just doesn't compute. But then again... I know folks who will do just that.

well... How about 1140 miles to buy a bike!

Big Sky Harley in Great Falls, MT gave me OTD price of 16 k on 2010 police bike, and I got to ride it home thru Yellowstone and the bighorn mtns. and yes, i'd do it again....

Old 08-10-2010, 03:25 PM
trhayes76
Tourer

I live in FL, bought bike in GA...The dealership sent me a check for taxes paid so I could pay to register it in FL...They had taxes for my county of residence factored into the deal...

Old 08-10-2010, 03:43 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 476 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by ebigfish
well... How about 1140 miles to buy a bike!

Big Sky Harley in Great Falls, MT gave me OTD price of 16 k on 2010 police bike, and I got to ride it home thru Yellowstone and the bighorn mtns. and yes, i'd do it again....

As long as you're happy, it's a good deal.

If you rolled a vacation trip into the package, that's one thing.

If you're gonna rent (or borrow) a trailer, drive 5-8 hours, get a motel room, then return, buy gas, buy food, and spend your time.... I'm thinking it get's factored into MY cost.

But, I'm luckier than most.... there are a LOT of dealerships within one hour from home,
Raleigh,, Durham, Smithfield, Goldsboro, Rocky Mount, Burlington, Winston Salem, Danville, Ashboro,Roanoke Rapids... that's ten... without really trying

Old 08-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Murderface
Tourer

i think the issue is that new buyers are looking at other folks OTD pricing, and not realizing that their local dealer may not make the same deal because of such factors as local tax. you cant take someone elses OTD pricing into a dealer and expect to get that yourself, and some newbies have no idea.

it gives everyone an idea of the market, but you cant take the numbers exact.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:20 PM
big ears
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I went Harley shopping the price the guy gave me for an ultra was too high so I went out the door. Is that the out the door price?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Harleydog1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure about bikes but with cars and trucks the OTD price may be misleading.
For example not all states require a dealer to collect tax for another state, some do. I am in Illinois and if I sell a cash deal to a person from reciprocal state we must charge the tax and send to that state. If it is a non reciprocal state we are not required to collect the tax. The buyer would then have to pay with thier receicpt at the local DMV.

Plates and other state or municipal fees will be paid at the home state. These examples are for cash deals if the customer chooses to finance the car most lenders require the selling dealer to collect all taxes and fees based on the buyer address and send out.

As far as the Doc Fee, this is nothing more than the most that any state will allow a dealership to charge a customer for something not related to the car or truck(bike). Illinois is $154.38 I have heard that other states are higher. The doc can not be taken off. This would open a dealership to a law suit for not charging everyone the same. The dealer may discount an additional amount equal to the DOC if the customer is unhappy about it.

I hope this helps. As I said I do not sell bikes this is about cars and trucks but I have bought enough bikes to see the same rules apply in my situations.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:56 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you are buyin a new harley, I can't believe you do not contact a lot of dealerships to see what their prices are.
If you paid over MSRP you paid too much.

Got a buddy that went to Gulf Shores, Ala. for a few days. He went into a HD dealer just going to buy a T-Shirt. Looked at a couple bikes, they made him such a good deal on a bike he couldn't say no.
He was 650 miles from home.
It pays to shop around.
And when its winter outside and nobody is moving bikes its also a good time to shop.

Quick Reply: OTD pricing inside