General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bees and bikers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:05 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
otherwise, how can they sting when we're riding at speed. It's not like they suddenly see us and turn around to nail us butt first. I can see how it happens when they get stuck between the helmet and face or in our clothes. By the way, the big black ones don't have stingers and are quite tame. Wasp's on the other hand are a entirely different beast. I believe those little bastards are kamikaze's. They sting out of sheer hatred for bikers. I'm grateful I'm not allergic since I've been nailed more than once over the years. It must be quite an ordeal if you're allergic to stings and then trying to get pulled over in a hurry and stick yourself with the hepi-pin.
If it is flying in the same direction as you are riding, it's *** is pointed toward you. It's doing a couple of mph, you are doing 25 times that. Or you hit it, and it sticks to you due to the wind, and it nails you then. All sorts of ways.

I had one hit me and sting me on the eyelid. Was one-eyed for a week, it wasn't fun.

I wear full faced or full shield helmets full time due to bees and rocks. Have had so many hit my shield, I shudder to think if they had gotten me.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:58 PM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

had a bee get up my jacket on the way to work a month or so ago...had to drive a bit before i could find a spot to pull over and KILL HIM..then to top it off had another one get up the other arm after work...cant win for losein sometimes

Old 09-05-2010, 03:23 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Southern BC

Originally Posted by Avalanche123
Watch Guy..where in western canada are you? I am in northern bc..

i've been stung in the nuts while driving my truck and that was brutal...nearly jumped out but kept it together enough to pull over and "deal with it".....
Nothing like being stung when your in a cramped environment. You guys have a lot of flying insects that bite up there. Some pretty small but with big teeth.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:23 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Ad one more to my list. Thursday I was tooling a long when I had a flash of a small black object and WHAM!! Got pelted just above my sunglasses. Hurt like all get out and thought some kid had shotme with a bb gun. Then the pain got worse to where I almost pulled over. Then I recoginized the pain as a bee sting. It was only in contact with me for a milla second so I figure it was a bee flying east as I was and I whacked him right on ther butt end and my impact squeezed the stinger rt out of him and into my forehead. So two things about riding......if your going to ride, your going to get wet AND stung at sometime.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by scubadnv
Had a tarantula wasp get between my helmet strap and left temple, it bit/stung me 5 times before I could bring the bike to a stop in the middle of nowhere by Carlsbad Caverns, luckily no bad reactions just mega pain the rest of the day.
At least it wasn't a bat during the bat flight Those caves are just awesome. I ran into a swarm a month or so ago and wished i had my riding jacket on but instead was in a tank top. FF helmet and bike was plastered with bees but only one managed to sting me in the middle of the chest. Bee stings don't hurt very bad at least not like a pissed off hornet that stings you in the middle of the back because you don't see his nest when your driving your riding mower around the blue spruce in the back yard . Now THAT HURT. Feels like somebody stabbed you with an ice pick. Guess i need to wear full riding gear while mowing to be safe!

Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I was cruising in a tee shirt and got stung above the left nipple, then immediately stung again in the arm pit, it felt like someone stuck me with the cherry of a cigarette. That sucker was red for days!

Old 09-05-2010, 08:06 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scubadnv
Had a tarantula wasp get between my helmet strap and left temple, it bit/stung me 5 times before I could bring the bike to a stop in the middle of nowhere by Carlsbad Caverns, luckily no bad reactions just mega pain the rest of the day.
I had never heard of a tarantula wasp
http://www.desertusa.com/mag01/sep/papr/thawk.html
I could have lived without the information. Geez. time to duct tape the sleeves on.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:10 AM
fourhour
Tourer

I carry an epi-pen close by me at all times. I've been forced to use expired ones too and find them just as effective. Fall seems to be the worst times for bees. I think they get agitated by the closing summer season.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Xzapno_Mapcase
Advanced

I had an angry hornet down my shirt last year, and couldn't pull over for about a half mile. He stung me 4-5 time right over the heart. I got home and went to bed. I had a nightmare about a giant insect chewing through by chest and eating my heart. When I woke up the whole left side of my chest as swollen up. Stupid bugs!

Old 09-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Stung twice here! Bastards hate bikers. The last time was last fall..the damn thing hit my helmet, landed between my legs and crawled down between my chaps and jeans. I didn't know he was there. A few minutes later, just as we got off the bike, all hell broke loose...I felt the **** crawling on my leg and tried to grab it. Thats when he stung my inner thigh about 4" right below my nuts...I started screaming and grabbing my leg (this on the sidewalk in front of a bunch tourists) and started pulling down my chaps...I found the bee and killed it but his stinger was embedded in my skin and it felt like fire! I started to unbutton my pants but my wife stopped me causing a bigger scene. She sent me to a restroom before it got much crazier.

Quick Reply: Bees and bikers...