General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken swingarm

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Rizzo,

It looks like his choices are:

Repair the current one with weld plates to reinforce it
Replace it with the SAME kind of swing arm
Upgrade to the '02 later and all that comes with it.

That is the worst one I have ever seen.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:25 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i can't beleive someone didn't see a arm broken that bad for a yr. your freind is lucky to be alive.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:33 AM
pgpn
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mine broke just like that. it caused the belt to push the inner ring off the rear pully

Old 08-22-2010, 08:57 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
i can't beleive someone didn't see a arm broken that bad for a yr. your freind is lucky to be alive.
We were thinking that worsened on the Sturgis trip and separated, I'm sure they would have seen it with a gap between the pieces. I think it was cracked and not that visible with the grime covering it. We also found the rear brakeline was damaged and will be replacing it as well.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:15 AM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be welded. Then you can fish plate the top and bottom, or better yet triangulate it with some sheet steel. Do both sides now that its apart. I have fixed a few, but never saw one that bad. Your friend is VERY lucky.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchetman
I think if mine broke, I would fish plate it & weld it. If you bought a new one, You should still fish plate it.
Does this scoot have a lowering kit on it? If it does, take it off & re set to factory so this won't happen again.
You can see the lowering plate in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th pic. Really need to remove the lowering plates, and mount the shock back correctly. If you search here, most of the bikes that cracked a swingarm are running the lowering kits. It places way to much stress on the arm.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:30 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hatchetman
I think if mine broke, I would fish plate it & weld it. If you bought a new one, You should still fish plate it.
Does this scoot have a lowering kit on it? If it does, take it off & re set to factory so this won't happen again.
I converted my 99 RK to a newer (2005) style swingarm. I had the same thought about my old swingarm though. It's not broken but I'll reinforce it top and bottom with a piece of 1/2 X 1/2 square stock and e-bay it off to someone who needs a swingarm.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Bitter Creek
Cruiser

Exact same brake occurred on a friend of mine's touring bike.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:26 AM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
I know this has been covered before but it can't hurt to bring it up again. If you feel the need to be a jackass and start ripping on the thread just move on. It might help someone avoid an injury.

I had read the threads about cracked swingarms here in the past and forgotten about them. My buddy has been having a stability issue with his bike for the last year. We talked about what it could be - tires, neck bearings, pivot shaft bushings. He had it to a couple shops, one replaced the neck bearings but the wiggle/wallow issue was still there. On the way back from Sturgis it got really bad. He took it to the dealer when he got home and they found the swingarm was cracked at the axle.

The repairs were more than his budget allows, so he brought it over here and I tore it apart last night. Long story short, when I removed the axle the right side of the swing was completely seperated. The only thing holding the right side in place was the shock and belt. There was a layer of dirty, oily sludge coating the swingarm and I suspect the crack was not visible or it might have been seen earlier.

Anyway take a look at these photos and check your swingarm if you are having any stability issues.
Issue's like that should be spotted by any trained tech when the bike is being serviced. They know to look for those sort of things.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:24 AM
JYarber
Intermediate

That could of gone really bad!! Glad ya'll caught it

Quick Reply: Broken swingarm