General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

good info. HD 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:43 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm selling both my Harley's after reading this. I sure don't want to take a chance of transmission failure. Oh yeah my RK is a 5 speed.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:46 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
What I find amusing is you guys still pay upwards to $30,000 knowing this **** is SOP with new bikes , if we the people quit blindly feeding the cooperate beast so eagerly when profits drop off they may correct well known defects BEFORE it leaves the factory ? Make any sense here ........
These aren't the worst times for H-D reliability. In fact, I'd venture to say they are some of the best. The AMF years almost buried Harley. But I'm sure you already knew that...

Old 08-30-2010, 08:16 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say that none of this hysteria means anything to the average HD rider (and no, I'm not speaking to the serious HD fanatics in the forum). Most riders are lucky to put on 3K a year. If there's a design/production problem, that bunch ain't gonna see it in the warranty period.

As for grime in the primary....there's clutch plates in there, and you can expect a bit of plate debris to accumulate between changes. I've been told this is common with all vintages of HD, and means NOTHING. The fact that HD doesn't circulate that goop through the engine is a definite design plus. Metrics mix the whole bunch together...engine, transmission and clutch systems all generally share the same lubrication system (and associated contaminants).

As for interpreting weird noises to mean something sinister....bike mechanics go crazy with people convinced that every noise means imminent failure. Harley's (and whole lot of other bikes) have sh*tloads of noises, most of which mean NOTHING.

As for the transmissions; I was a late convert to the idea of separate oils for different functions, but the fact that HD has stuck with the system for so many years, has a recent reliability history that now compares with metric bikes, makes me feel pretty damn comfortable with lubrication systems totally isolated from high temperature combustion exposure.

Is it perfect? No, but a great deal depends upon decent maintenance. I'll ride the **** out of my Super Glide, just like every bike I've owned, and if necessary, modify the damn thing to be resilient. There's a certain beauty to learning every bike's weak-points (and they ALL have weak points).

Last edited by krusty1; 08-30-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:50 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Base model plain Jane no chrome anything FLH started about $22,000 around here last year , any product with a 5-7 % defect rate is unacceptable in the transportation industry . Not all bikes have majors but the guys who end up the turkeys are not going to agree with your sunshine .
My '08 FLHT base price was $16,500. I guess I bought at a good time, even though my trannie is gonna fall out according to some. I, too, want to know where you got your 5-7% figure from. That's why all research articles and papers have to show documentation of sources.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, it's not like I don't have enough **** to worry about already, but here comes another horror story down the pike. WTF, Jeez.

When you sell a Kajillion Bikes, your gonna have problems. Like the old expression "Sometimes your **** just breaks"!

I think, I'm gonna have to go with the odds on this one, everywhere I go, I see people on Harleys, riding and having a large time.

I just got back from a rally and there were several thousand Harleys riding around and I did not see thousands of people sitting on the side of the road with their Transmissions in their hand!

I'm glad, I was forewarned of this impending doom!

I do my own maintenence on my bike, I watch for any signs of wear or anything out of the normal, I take good care of my bike , I don't ever abuse it and I've never, in 34 years of riding Harleys, been left on the side of the road, except for 2 flat tires.

If it ain't broke, shut up and Ride!

Last edited by Harleybass; 09-01-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Base model plain Jane no chrome anything FLH started about $22,000 around here last year , any product with a 5-7 % defect rate is unacceptable in the transportation industry . Not all bikes have majors but the guys who end up the turkeys are not going to agree with your sunshine .
My 2009 FLHRC (Road King Classic) was $21k out the door WITH optional extras and extended warranty. Sounds like you guys are getting hosed by your dealers....

Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 PM
chrisangie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U mean to tell me the tires go flat too

Old 08-31-2010, 06:35 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,929 Likes on 17,481 Posts

Oh boy you twinky guys get your knickers bunched up quick damn . Try reading the Wall Street instead the National Enquirer some and since I've been in the auto & related manufacturing industry for 20+ yrs I have access to things that aren't general public information . Cars , Harley , trucks ect. all use the same manufacturing processes and general business plans huge amounts of information is gathered & monitored , occasional brand names like Toyota , HD , Caterpillar, ect. will be used as an example for whatever reasons . it's not for public consumption .

As for the individuals getting all superior basically calling me a liar about the pricing remember '" what the market will bear " not everybody lives in Poo Dunk Ohio were yes it may be cheaper , MSPR means suggested not locked down . A friend just left my house 1/2hr ago his stripped 2009 bagger no chrome , radio , fancy anything was $22,000 . Again , to each his own ...

Saying what I want to at this point would be an automatic ban , you clowns don't rate that . Get out more the world is a much bigger place that what orbits around you .

PS : the guy with 2 bikes and 70,000 under your belt , come talk to me about things after you have added a digit or 2 to both those numbers .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-31-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh boy you twinky guys get your knickers bunched up quick damn . Try reading the Wall Street instead the National Enquirer some and since I've been in the auto & related manufacturing industry for 20+ yrs I have access to things that aren't general public information . Cars , Harley , trucks ect. all use the same manufacturing processes and general business plans huge amounts of information is gathered & monitored , occasional brand names like Toyota , HD , Caterpillar, ect. will be used as an example for whatever reasons . it's not for public consumption .

As for the individuals getting all superior basically calling me a liar about the pricing remember '" what the market will bear " not everybody lives in Poo Dunk Ohio were yes it may be cheaper , MSPR means suggested not locked down . A friend just left my house 1/2hr ago his stripped 2009 bagger no chrome , radio , fancy anything was $22,000 . Again , to each his own ...

Saying what I want to at this point would be an automatic ban , you clowns don't rate that . Get out more the world is a much bigger place that what orbits around you .

PS : the guy with 2 bikes and 70,000 under your belt , come talk to me about things after you have added a digit or 2 to both those numbers .
Apparently you can't read either.... I'm not from "Po Dunk Iowa"... Let me spell it out for you since you can't read it... I am from Phoenix Arizona. That's the fifth largest metro area in the US.... Far from "Po Dunk Iowa".

Just because you have 20+ years in the automotive industry doesn't mean you know jack about the motorcycle industry. Nice try though.

Go away Chicken Little. If you hate Harleys so much, sell yours, buy another bike from elsewhere, and go pollute their forums.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:45 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Why come talk to you? The OP said this was happening to bikes under 30,000 miles. You said guys are paying too much for Harleys. What's left to talk about. The sky is not falling, I can pretty much gaurantee that.

Quick Reply: good info. HD 6 speed