General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just not happy

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:16 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad bike

Are you sure that you are just not comfortable on it? When I bought my 07 Ultra, for the first 50 miles I thought it was a cadillac. Then as i rode it more, I became uncomfortable with it. It didn't corner like I thought it should, the vibration was almost unbearable and it was hot as hell. I couldn't believe I bought this thing. So I traded it for a Heritage and I am complete. Rides like a dream, corners nicely, and doesn't vibrate. I can't blame HD. It was all me and just a matter of finding what I was really looking for. So you might be having some of the same type of feelings.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Ironbarr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinm40
Now don’t get me wrong. This is not buyer’s remorse, I love my bike and I am glad I bought a motorcycle, but, after 4 months and 3900 miles I am just not happy with the bike.
I bought my 2010 RK back in May and I have been riding a lot back and forth to work, long multi-day weekend rides and riding in a Parade Unit for the Shrine. So why am I unhappy?
One is the ride is horrible. I know it’s an air cooled V-Twin so I accept vibration when idling, but at highway speeds, most speeds really, it feels down right unstable. The dealer swears it’s me but if it were a car I’d be returning it under lemon laws. Seriously, for a couple of years before I bought the bike I did a lot, and I mean a LOT, of research on motorcycles and HD said the new frame [in ‘09] was the most comfortable, easy, smooth ride for a bagger ever. All the reviewers agreed. But if this is a smooth comfortable ride I shudder to think of the horror of riding a pre-09 bagger!
Second is, the finish is weak. Yea, like all new vehicles she was a beaut coming off the show room floor but in just four months the finish is scuffed and marked from… just riding! So I use rubbing compound and wax to get the scuffs and scratches out to no avail.
But I can live with the scuffs. I just wish it rode better. So since I can’t return it, I can’t sell it or trade it in, I’ll drop $200 to put heavy fork oil in and as I can get more $$ together keep trying different things until the ride makes me happy and I stop wishing I had bought the BMW.
Kevin:
I must have missed your replies to others, sorry.

Can't help your machine's problem(s) but can suggest something that may help YOU...

I'm just a sad, lonely old man stuck in this world without his gone but not forgotten '55 FLHF and wanting so very much to re-enter The Ride. So, please, just ride that rattleytrap thingy here to my driveway (too poor/old for a garage), leave the (signed & notorized) title, take the plate, and give it a hearty "Bon Ride-ahhge" - or "road-ahhge" as you walk or drive away.

Be cartain that no matter the problem(s) you will have made an old man happy.

Thank you for your attention and your consideration - (address available upon (serious) request).

Old 09-07-2010, 02:52 PM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sift through all the crap on here and you'll find some good advice. You should take IronAss up on his offer. I don't know the guy, but based on his experience (see his Hoka Hey thread) he is an experienced rider and may notice something right away.

Tires and Springs will have a huge impact. Talk to your parts guy. If he's anything like mine he should have some good insight.

If you were looking for a "BMW Ride" you came to the wrong bike...that said you may have gotten the wrong Harley. I have a Heritage and the vibrational issues you mentioned have never presented themselves on my bike. That has everything to do with how the bike is construucted. I posted an article about the Heritage...you might want to check it out.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l-classic.html

Old 09-07-2010, 03:17 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I looked at trading my 04 Ultra for a 10 Ultra. After test riding one, I did not like the stiffness of the new one. Granted it was new and would have probably softened up a bit, but thats just me.

However, as stated before, if you are looking for the ride of the beemer, then you are on the wrong bike. Aint gonna happen. Trade it for a beemer or a scooter cause you will never be happy.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:43 PM
LozoB
Tourer

It's you. Definitely you.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:11 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by louisianaSVT2001
They dont feel like sticker flames. Looks like paint to me
they're stickers. we had that discussion last year when the wideglide first came back

Old 09-07-2010, 06:58 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master

Originally Posted by schumacher
they're stickers. we had that discussion last year when the wideglide first came back
Oh ok guess I missed that. Thats some good lookin stickers, I'm diggin it better anyway.

Back to OP, go buy your BMW

Old 09-07-2010, 07:10 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by louisianaSVT2001
Oh ok guess I missed that. Thats some good lookin stickers, I'm diggin it better anyway.

Back to OP, go buy your BMW
I like the flames on orange a lot better than the flames on black on the new wg