General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance Covers Theft, Thinking About LoJack Too

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Finn111
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds expensive, I have it on mine and I think I only paid $400.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:11 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,220 Likes on 2,467 Posts

i would just make sure that my insurance was good. 40 bucks a month for an 02 sporty sounds high. i was paying 125 per year on my 02 sporty through progressive. plus they will include 3k for aftermarket parts/accessories/helmet, etc.

i realize that your geographic location has a lot to do with that, but la is typically considered high in insurance costs nationwide.

i would skip the lojack.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:49 PM
thebarzeen
Cruiser

I'm with the above poster who said just to lower your deductible and take pictures of all the mods..... you wouldn't want it back after it's been beat to poo or stripped down by some hoodlum in a garage...... spend the grand on oil changes, if you're really that shook up go buy a glock

Old 09-08-2010, 01:57 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it locked in the garage with a Vespa cover on it.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
i would just make sure that my insurance was good. 40 bucks a month for an 02 sporty sounds high. i was paying 125 per year on my 02 sporty through progressive. plus they will include 3k for aftermarket parts/accessories/helmet, etc.

i realize that your geographic location has a lot to do with that, but la is typically considered high in insurance costs nationwide.

i would skip the lojack.
I did my shopping for insurance before I signed up with Geico. Out of the 4 major companies I contacted, Allstate, Statefarm, Geico and Progressive, 2 wouldn't insure a bike in D.C. and the other one was twice more expensive.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:04 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey matuchi is that really a orange bike or just bad flash bulb

Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
It doesn't work everywhere. Satelite receivers are the new security. Do some research.
+1, Lojack does not have coverage everywhere. I have it on my bike (paid like $580) they did not cover the county I live in, but have since expanded into the area. State farm would not give a discount for it either. I got to looking and found the satelite tracking system and had it too installed on my bike (right now I can log on the the website and locate my bike, or call the # and they can tell me exactly where it is), BUT it is expensive (I don't remember exactly but I think it was close to $1000 up front, plus a monthly monitoring fee).
Between the HD security system, lo-jack, and the satelite tracking I hope I can get my bike back if it is ever stolen, BUT I know for a fact if not my insurance will cover it.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
+1, Lojack does not have coverage everywhere. I have it on my bike (paid like $580) they did not cover the county I live in, but have since expanded into the area. State farm would not give a discount for it either. I got to looking and found the satelite tracking system and had it too installed on my bike (right now I can log on the the website and locate my bike, or call the # and they can tell me exactly where it is), BUT it is expensive (I don't remember exactly but I think it was close to $1000 up front, plus a monthly monitoring fee).
Between the HD security system, lo-jack, and the satelite tracking I hope I can get my bike back if it is ever stolen, BUT I know for a fact if not my insurance will cover it.
What is the name of the satellite system?

Old 09-09-2010, 12:57 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Voony
What is the name of the satellite system?
I have site bookmarked at home, will post it when I can get to it, stuck at work right now. I had it here until the IT guy cleared off the computers and just haven't thought to find it again.
*EDIT*
I knew there was something I was forgetting today. Vonny, the name is fox something, or something fox GPS tracking.

Last edited by dope_man_21; 09-09-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:11 PM
softailfla80
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah...I paid about $1000 for Lojack a few years back. Learned the hard way why it SUCKS. Hardly works anywhere...gotta read the fine print when you get it also. Look in the owners manual and it tells you that if it is stolen in an area where they do not claim to have coverage....you get nothing so there is basically nothing than can or will do for you.
I paid about half that for a GPS Tracker and had no monthly fees with it. It does have a anual fee of $89.95 but that is AFTER the first year...they throw it in for the 1st year. Still, at about $7.50 per month its well worth it and beats the hell out of NoJack

Quick Reply: Insurance Covers Theft, Thinking About LoJack Too