General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time wife rides, first time idiot pulls out in front...Keep tire locked up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

To wreck anytime is bad but on your wife's first ride...man, I hope that won't keep her from riding when you both heal. That would be enough to keep someone from riding , just hope she will be willing to give it another try and you enjoy many happy hours of riding together. Prayers for you both. Take care of her.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched the video you inserted in your post.

I may have to stand corrected. The video certainly appears that your method can achieve better results than the hold the rear brake in a skid method.

It is obviously worth a second thought and practice. Thank you.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:56 PM
LRHD
Road Captain

Excerpt form the California DMV Handbook:
Quick Stops
To stop quickly, apply both brakes at the same time. Don’t be shy about using the front brake, but don’t "grab" it either. Squeeze the brake lever firmly with continuing steady pressure. If the front wheel locks, release the front brake immediately and then reapply it firmly. At the same time, press down on the rear brake. If you accidentally lock the rear brake on a good traction surface, you can keep it locked until you have completely stopped.NOTE: Even with a locked rear wheel, you can control the motor-cycle on a straightaway if it is upright and going in a straight line.Always use both brakes at the same time to stop. The front brake can provide almost three-quarters of your stopping power.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:58 PM
dstonemega
Tourer

Slide that rear wheel! Have none of you guys whipped the *** end of a motorcycle around by skidding the *** end?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,655 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by dstonemega
Slide that rear wheel! Have none of you guys whipped the *** end of a motorcycle around by skidding the *** end?
I was wondering the same thing. You can release the rear brake once you have the skid straight. Didn't any of you guys ever ride a bicycle as a kid?

As far as the earlier post that the rear tire comes around due to the front tire breaking harder than the rear, that simply isn't the way it works. Again I have to go back to a bicycle, you can swerve the *** end all over the street on a bike with NO front brake. It has to do with front wheel steering not braking. If you don't panic you can release a rear skid without a high side crash.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 PM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by DDuess
once the rear is locked, keep it locked as when you let up, a big chance of a high side crash. The bike violently uprights itself and pitches you off.
This is very bad advice and is wrong! Please take a rider training course. Noname

Old 09-08-2010, 07:27 PM
BMF
Cruiser

Glad you guys came out ok. My wife was with me in June and we had the same thing happen with a left turner. We both escaped with minor stuff but the bike was totaled. From friends that were behind us I think I figured out what happened. Traveling about 50 mph he started his turn 30 ft in front of us. I reacted and locked the rear tire. Next thing inknow we are on the pavement. I believe once I hit the rear I also hit the front and as the rear slid out the pressure on the front put us to the ground. I don't recall the skid or sliding at all so I never had a chance to correct it like I was taught. If it makes any difference the new 2011 RG I ordered will have ABS. My friends are sure if I had it on my RK we might not have gone down.

Anyway good lick and recover quickly. We will say a prayer for you wife's recovery.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:52 PM
dstonemega
Tourer

Originally Posted by noname
This is very bad advice and is wrong! Please take a rider training course. Noname

Wrong dude. Slide that *** end around all you want. Let off the rear brake going sideways and your ****ed. Try it.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:55 PM
dstonemega
Tourer

Originally Posted by noname

You need advice on how to give advice. Study first, talk later champ.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:31 PM
shiftharder
Road Master

Lucky for me I hav`nt been there yet so I can`t offer any advice but I do hope you and yours recover soon and she will get back on.

Quick Reply: First time wife rides, first time idiot pulls out in front...Keep tire locked up?