General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time wife rides, first time idiot pulls out in front...Keep tire locked up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by karjar
Thanks again to all for the thoughts. Also thanks for the feedback on braking. It definitely is something that I will need to practice more, though don't really like practicing those things at 50 mph or more.

My wife had a good afternoon, and will be back to normal in 6 months, meaning the way she was 5 minutes before the accident. Well with the exception that she will not ride on the bike anymore, which is ok, but I liked the thought of travelling with her. When we stopped for gas going out on our trip a BMW 1200LT (I think) pulled up, double up, here in B.C... from Idaho. Took off their helmets, and they had to be 65 minimum. Took both to pull the bike back on its centre stand so he could fill with gas. Had their heated clothing on, and were very happy.

Guess if my bike is not fixable, will have to decide on a good single seater/tourer..Thoughts? Street glide? Road glide? (ABS!?? lol)
Jeff (and now retired rider Karen)
Sorry to hear of the crash and resulting injuries to your wife and you. It would do you well to practice panic stops from a variety of speeds. Just remember to go easy on the brakes...learn to apply max stopping pressure without locking the rear wheel and especially the front. If you lock the front, your prolly going down

Old 09-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks again to all for the thoughts. Also thanks for the feedback on braking. It definitely is something that I will need to practice more, though don't really like practicing those things at 50 mph or more.

My wife had a good afternoon, and will be back to normal in 6 months, meaning the way she was 5 minutes before the accident. Well with the exception that she will not ride on the bike anymore, which is ok, but I liked the thought of travelling with her. When we stopped for gas going out on our trip a BMW 1200LT (I think) pulled up, double up, here in B.C... from Idaho. Took off their helmets, and they had to be 65 minimum. Took both to pull the bike back on its centre stand so he could fill with gas. Had their heated clothing on, and were very happy.

Guess if my bike is not fixable, will have to decide on a good single seater/tourer..Thoughts? Street glide? Road glide? (ABS!?? lol)
Glad to hear that your wife is going to be back to normal in 6 months. Will continue to keep you both in our thoughts and prayers.

There is no need to practice threshold combination braking at 50mph. A good starting speed is 15-18mph bumping it up a few mph as you progress. And 30 to 35 should be the max for practice. There is a reason most pro sports practice at half speed, the risk of injury from full speed full contact is too great.

Remember you are building muscle memory and getting a feel for what happens so that when it happens, your body will react accordingly. And don't forget to follow through. By that I mean to keep applying pressure to the lever and pedal for 3-5 seconds after the bike has come to a complete stop. This will build muscle memory to avoid let up. Let up is something we all do every day when braking. Every action we do in life from operating the TV remote to swinging a baseball bat builds muscle memory. Whenever we come to a stop in our cars or on our bikes we let up, meaning we apply brakes, then let up at the last moment and coast the remaining 3-6 feet so our vehicle stops right at the front of the stop sign or at the crosswalk. We all do it otherwise we would be stopping way before our intended point. What we don't realize is that we are building muscle memory that says "brake, let up and roll, and brake again to a complete stop". And this can translate directly to the street in an emergency stop. Riders wantings to make an emergency stop will often let up at the last moment without realizing it thus increasing their stopping distance. I see it in practice all the time. So by continuing to apply pressure for a few seconds after the bike is stopped will build muscle memory that hopefully will avoid let up.

Rest up, get better and keep posting.

For your next bike I suggest the Screaming Eagle Street Glide!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Thank you to all who wished for mine and my wifes speedy recovery. I am doing very well, and my wife was up and walking the corridors of the hospital 3-4 times today. She had a good day. She has at this point indicated that that was her last ride (and first with me.)

It has been really interesting reading all the posts. I have taken the Motor Cycle safety course. There presently is not an advanced course where I am. I have the "ride like the Pro" videos, and know from my defensive driver training course in a car, that a vehicle stopped with threshold braking will stop much faster than a locked up bike.

I did scan, did cover my brakes and clutch, when I saw the truck, but I will also admit, that when it pulled out, I hit the brakes in a reaction, and I think having my wife with me may have affected what I did, not sure. I was very conscious of her being on the bike.

When I first heard the tires squeel I did release the back brake, but I think I hit it again, and may have stayed on it a bit too long, as I do remember the bike swaying out the back to the right. Then probably did get bucked from high siding it, as it did slide on its right side once down.

The truck was in a stopped position, as I approached, they pulled out. The passenger indicated it is a blind corner from where they were parked, and he said the driver asked if ok to go, and he said no, and said driver thought he said GO.

I did do object avoidance in MS course, and emergency stops. Still seems to be different when it actually happens. Guess I needed to practice it alot more.

I still havent seen my bike, I plan to continue to ride. It would be nice if my wife would, but I fully understand if she won't and that is ok.
Yeah, it's ALOT different and yes, practice alot more
Once again, glad to hear ya'll are ok well, for the most part anyway

Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 PM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so glad you and your wife are going to be OK. All the advice given here has been spot on. Only thing I would add is this: Theory is wonderful, as is hindsight. You did the right thing, you avoided a collision. Encourage your wife to get back on the horse. If you had a wreck in your car, would she never go to the grocery again? We all have mishaps, anyone who hasn't has that experience yet to come. Let's learn from it, grow stronger because of it, and move on and enjoy life. Don't let it take away that which was good.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:04 PM
trippy57
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once was one my first bike, a 76 CB750, going down a hill in a urban area, when the pickup ahead of me hit his brakes. I slowed, only to realize that he was stopped and was attempting a left turn! Locked up the rear brake, and steered the bike around the truck on the right side with the rear locked up. Serious pucker factor, but I got it done. Once the rear is locked keep it that way until the bike is pretty much straight before you let off the rear brake or you're gonna high side. If you have time, take the gearbox down about 2 gears from where you are when it happens, and use the engine to slow your forward progress before hitting the brakes. Now, if you're on wet pavement when you downshift 2 gears, the rear is gonna slide. Anticipate it, and slowly apply front until the compression catches up with the rear wheel. Maintain as straight a line as possible when the rear is locked up. THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT!!!!!70% of your braking power is in the FRONT not the back.........hope this helps, and get well, mano! Hope the ol lady gets back on with ya!