General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage Harleys

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:49 AM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Luxer, first do not get hung up on looks. The 47 knuck in your post is NOT restored and has a lot of incorrect stuff going on (chrome that should be paint, paint that should be parkerized or cad finish, modern tires with whitewalls just for starters).

Knuckles in general have not felt the recession as have most other HD models. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that they only had an 11 year run. 36 and 47 year model cost are outrageous.

If you are in the search for old iron, you need to buy a copy of Palmers guide to motorcycle restoration. It is the "bible' for flatties, knucks and pans for the 40-50s. If you find one, take someone with you who has a very good knowledge of the model you are going to look at. Last thing you need is to buy a bike only to have it taken by the police because something a basic as the vin# is all buggered up.
Great info. I reread my post and I wasn't implying that the pictured bike was unmolested. Whitewalls obviously. I'm still learning all the "correctness" of a lot of the old Knucks and Pans. When I actually find my next vintage HD, I will have thoroughly researched it and run it by ya'll to see what the real experts think. Those who own em, usually know best. But then, if I wait to get everyone's opinion, it may be gone..........

On a lighter note...........what's with the green and red candy buttons above the saddlebags?????

Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 AM
Luxer
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate the information you guys are sharing with me. I always thought it would be great to have an Army surplus HD from the WWII time period. This bike will get ridden but mainly on local/leisure types of rides. I by no means want a show room vintage bike and I have always really liked the military bikes. Thanks again for the other places that I can continue my hunting and I think patience will be key once I do get back to America and remember to enjoy the hunt for this bike as well.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 AM
lownslow
Road Master

Hey Luxetr, almost forgot to get back to you on this. We just moved and it's been crazy, still looking for stuff in boxes.

This is a site that categorizes by model and is somehow linked to ebay. I found it better than going to ebay directly and searching. Anyway, try it when you're bored,,,,,,LOL

http://hogdeals.com/category/panhead/

Be sure to click on the title/description, not the picture.

Last edited by lownslow; 10-26-2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Instructions
Old 10-26-2010, 08:30 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

For the last couple of years I've been goin up to Rhinebeck new york, for their antique bike show in mid June. I go just to check out the bikes, but there are lots of bikes for sale. Not just Harleys but just about every brand ever made. All the popular brands and some you've never heard of[ at least I haven't]. there are lots of parts in every condition, and running bikes that are 100% stock and in original condition. Restored bikes and some that look like they were draggged out of the lake and put up for sale. I'm not sure where you call home base here in the states, but I'm sure with a little detective work you can find a show within a few hours of you to haunt.,,

Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 AM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

After living in Japan for 20 years, all I can say is that you have no idea what the Culture shock will be when you come back home. It was huge for me. And thank you for spending 20+ years of your life defending America.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:36 PM
lownslow
Road Master

Originally Posted by bjewell
After living in Japan for 20 years, all I can say is that you have no idea what the Culture shock will be when you come back home. It was huge for me. And thank you for spending 20+ years of your life defending America.
+1 20 years man, gratzi..............

Old 10-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Mal74

Nice posts!

The nicest restoration has to be the 41 Knuckle out of Saugertis, Ny. If I am close to being correct it probably belongs to Steve Barber. Guy is a class act and does awesome work

On the next post the most original pan for the money is the Flamingo red 1965 pan. Only a few small things that do not appear to be the real deal.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:29 PM
lownslow
Road Master

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Nice posts!

The nicest restoration has to be the 41 Knuckle out of Saugertis, Ny. If I am close to being correct it probably belongs to Steve Barber. Guy is a class act and does awesome work

On the next post the most original pan for the money is the Flamingo red 1965 pan. Only a few small things that do not appear to be the real deal.
Good posts..............totally agree with the 41 Knuck

The '65 pan caught my eye as well...........but, yesterday, my neighbor 2 doors down, who now knows I own a harley, showed me his latest acquisition. The 67 M-50 he got for free basically to haul it away. It's a restored 66 in the ad but basically the same bike. It's no HOG mind you but he's stoked to have this little project. Well, I'm sure he'll be moochin alot of my tools.............Damn. Fun winter project though!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

After owning a couple of dozen or so vintage Harleys the oldest was a 1937,my advise is try and find one that really floats your boat,Take your time ask around,maybe find a basket case.Personally know a few guys who have been restoring old Harleys for many years and they all say it's getting harder to find old bikes cheap.Good Luck

Quick Reply: Vintage Harleys