General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to wash harley???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the car wash dude is funny as fu$k , i like the end when the dryer starts , he bottles it , the look on the ol girls face is priceless

Old 09-29-2010, 06:16 AM
2010IRON883
Tourer

There is no friggin way i would put my bike through that mess!!!!!!! LOL

Old 09-29-2010, 08:30 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

Originally Posted by reddog8145
My God, I cant believe that some of you wash your bikes only 2-3 times a year, I have to wash at least once a month, if I dont ride too much, If I get out every day of the week it needs a wash at least once a week.

I spray with S100, have a nice cup of tea !, wash it down with a garden hose using fresh water, soap it with a car wash soap, rinse, blow dry or chammy, wax and polish. All takes about an hour and a half from start to finish. I even wash the underside. Never had any problem with starting or running, though it always seem's to run better after a wash.

PS. you can substitute the tea for coffee if you like,' no pressure'.

Reddog GB
What he said. I have a 2008 Dyna and never had a problem from water

Old 09-29-2010, 10:13 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepower
This is my first harley, my first cruiser bike & first fuel injected bike. My question is how do you wash your harley? Ive washed it twice since i got it & everytime i finish washing it the bike kinda has a hard time idling normally. It even made a popping sound, but only once. Are there places I need to avoid with water? I like washing it every other week to avoid rust.
A local indy Harley mechanic warned me to NEVER use a pressure washer for a Harley. I never have anyhow, but the idea being that the pressure can force water into place you don't want it and wash away lubricants - the rusty rear axle he was beating out of my wife's bike being his example (most likely the last owner used a pressure washer).

I use a bucket, car wash soap and a graden hose. I do it once or twice a year maybe.

Last edited by brenn; 09-29-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Ride in a heavy downpour.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I NEVER wash the bikes. I supervise the washing while sitting in the garage with the hound, a cigar, and a rum&coke while the wife does the washing. She does a fantastic job.

Attached Thumbnails How to wash harley???-pat-washing-the-ultrar.jpg   How to wash harley???-pat-washing-the-ultra-4-r.jpg  

Last edited by rh8234; 09-29-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by BigWheelBob
Damn new guys dont know nothing! Just watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv3HdXspRgA
What an idiot. I wonder if he got the hot carnuba.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man its a machine soap and water what do you clean yourself with, have you ever washed a car or truck

Old 09-29-2010, 01:44 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
man its a machine soap and water what do you clean yourself with, have you ever washed a car or truck
YEP - If I can ride it in the pouring rain, it can handle a good washing!!! If it can't handle a little water - even from a power washer, I've got no use for it. My Ultra gets hosed down regularly (by my wife, because if it was up to me it would stay dirty) and even all the silly stuff like the CD player always works just fine after a good soapy wash. The guy in the video was simply trying to show that these bikes do not have to be handled with kid golves. Ride 'em. Wash 'em (or don't). They ain't gonna break down from a little washing or rain!!!!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:20 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
A local indy Harley mechanic warned me to NEVER use a pressure washer for a Harley. I never have anyhow, but the idea being that the pressure can force water into place you don't want it and wash away lubricants - the rusty rear axle he was beating out of my wife's bike being his example (most likely the last owner used a pressure washer).
I use a bucket, car wash soap and a graden hose. I do it once or twice a year maybe.
Or never had it serviced properly. As I posted earlier...I always use a pressure washer and have NEVER had a problem because of it. You can screw up anything if you don't use common sense while performing a task. Just sayin'

Quick Reply: How to wash harley???