General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has been stopped for having earphones in while riding? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 07:23 PM
mikec
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Who has been stopped for having earphones in while riding? Anyone?

Oh.....that is just Bull Sh$t. Is that exclusion on the books.
Sometimes I wonder if some cops pick on bikers. We're
all in someway part of Hells Angles you know.
ORIGINAL: TXSwede

ORIGINAL: lapisblue

It's legal for a person that is 100% deaf to ride but you can't wear headphones and ride????
Thats the excuse I gave the cop in Palm Springs 30 years ago! He said that thier other senses were hieghtened to make up for it.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:58 PM
WillyHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not legal here in GA, but it is legal in most other states. A pretty good ref is here. I still wear my shure earphones in GA and have not had a problem. At 70 or 80 mph, the wind is so loud that it doesn't make a differnce anyway (no windshield).

I have to add that the Shure in ear earphones (I have the e2c) were worth every penny of the $74 they cost. They loop over your ears, stay firmly in place, are very comfy! I used them on my trip to FL and back with very little problems.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:05 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Who is angry about this post? Just asking a question and once again stating my own opinion. I also think it is stupid to ride drunk, or endanger anyones life including my own in any other way. I said it was stupid becuase I didn't feel I was endangering anyone's life anymore than the loud car with the boom boom music talking on the cell, Im'ing his girl and bitchin at his friends at the same time. If id do it while tweaked to the gord, that is a different story. Can't we all jsut get along. I even understand the LEO's stance. That is the law. Period. Duh. People act like I am personally insulting them in here. WTF? Take a chill pill. Thnaks for your opinions. As far as this issue is concerned I am with clammy. music.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:16 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: TXSwede

Put it in perspective. O.K. You go on picking and choosing the laws you want to obey, and try to remember you make things very diffucult for those of us who are trying to teach kids to obey laws. Great examples!
Well, I for one would rather people (even "kids") to think for themselves, even when it comes to the "law" because sometime laws are not just. That means picking and choosing, for example, not to have followed the slavery and jim crow laws that plagued this country. Its great that these laws were overturned, but by your standard, you would have followed them until they were overturned. Not really such a great thing to teach.

More importantly, this isnt an elemetary school. In fact, as an adult, I do lots of *legal* things that are not designed to be instructional to children.

As for perspective, going 56 mph, or wearing earphones while riding is very different from your examples of children doing crack in school, or getting into knife fights. If recognizing that counts as "picking and choosing" in your book, then you need a new book.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:19 PM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There ought to be a law prohibiting Liberals from making laws. If you're too frickin stupid to turn the music down while you're on your scoot, you're also probably too stupid to pull over to use your cell phone or read a map too. No laws on the books against stupidity, and even if there was one, do you honestly think people would stop being stupid because it was against the law? Gimme a break. Give us ALL a break.

Ear phones! Write the ticket.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:22 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

In your original post you said 'let the lectures begin' I was just trying to occimidate you
And you think you are being insulted? What about me? Now I condone slavery!!

Old 09-13-2006, 08:22 PM
WillyHD
Road Master

I think this thread has really gotten off topic. Has anyone gotten a ticket for wearing earphones?

Old 09-13-2006, 08:28 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

In the first reply I said I did.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:33 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope. Have never written one either. I figure, if you can't hear that 80,000 pound fire truck coming thru the intersection lights and siren a'blazing cuz of your headphones, and you get nailed, that is just God insuring that the gene pool gets cleaned up.

no, I am not condoning the death of ANY motorist, so DON'T read into that

Old 09-13-2006, 08:35 PM
WillyHD
Road Master

Just for clarity, like Clammy, I only wear them on long rides and at relatively high speed. If I didn't wear them I would wear earplugs.

Quick Reply: Who has been stopped for having earphones in while riding? Anyone?