General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 06:23 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts
Question winter storage

It's gettin close to that time of year when I need to put the bike to bed for the winter, first snow is expected this sunday so i have about a week of riding left if i am lucky. Winter riding here just isnt an option, when the snow and ice comes, it stays til april.

So, prepping the bike, trickle charger etc isnt a prob, but for the first time I have to put the bike onto the lower of a two level parking lift, which means the bike will spend a few months sitting with its front end up at a 35 degree angle. Thought about putting it across the ramp on its side stand so it'd sit almost upright when the ramp is lowered, but theres no way to tie it down, which is necessary as the ramp will move from time to time.

So, the question, is storing the bike like this gonna cause me grief when I pull it out in spring or am i gettin to worried about it?

Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Not at all, other than your wondering about all winter.Have found it easier to deal with covering them,you know "Out of Sight,Out of Mind"

Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

You mentioned a trickle charger, you should be using a batery tender, or is that what you mean. Other wise you should have no real problems.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:59 AM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazy8s
It's gettin close to that time of year when I need to put the bike to bed for the winter, first snow is expected this sunday so i have about a week of riding left if i am lucky. Winter riding here just isnt an option, when the snow and ice comes, it stays til april.
Sorry to hear about the snow - one reason I left Milwaukee. When I stored my bike, it was in a garage and the temp inside was maybe 5-10F degrees warmer. We had plenty of nights below zero. Used Stabil in the gas tank and removed the battery and brought it inside and attaced a Battery Tender.

Now, being in Texas, my winter storage is ride until I get cold. Warm up, ride again. LOL

Old 10-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by reddog8145
You mentioned a trickle charger, you should be using a batery tender, or is that what you mean. Other wise you should have no real problems.
Yep, Trickle charger = battery tender in my part of the world. havent put the bike to bed yet, snow has held off for the moment so I am squeezing in as much time on the bike as I can. I commute to work every day on the bike except for the winter. This morning was 2 deg C, thats 35.8 deg Fahrenheit if my conversion is correct. Fortunately not a long ride (about 25 mins) but still bloody cold. Call me nuts, but I still enjoy it

Old 10-19-2010, 02:46 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

but still bloody cold. Call me nuts, but I still enjoy it
Yer nuts!!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:36 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 332 Posts

Yep, Trickle charger = battery tender in my part of the world. havent put the bike to bed yet, snow has held off for the moment so I am squeezing in as much time on the bike as I can. I commute to work every day on the bike except for the winter. This morning was 2 deg C, thats 35.8 deg Fahrenheit if my conversion is correct. Fortunately not a long ride (about 25 mins) but still bloody cold. Call me nuts, but I still enjoy it
Simple and quick conversion for C to F = Take C temp (2), double it and add 30 ~ 34F.

Other way, F to C = 56F - 30 = 26/2 ~13C.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Anixon88
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this seems likes a good thread to post my question to.. if people like I'll make a new one though

I'm just a newb thinking about what to do to my bike for winter storage.

I'm curious as to what would be better.. Putting a fuel stabilizer in the tank, or draining the tank.
Just thinking about the engine having to use the stabilized fuel
But i tend to worry

Now I've read something here I didn't know about, taking the battery out.. and putting it on a tender/trickle charger?
Would that be a different machine than I use with my truck's battery? It has a switch to take it from lots of charging to trickle charging.. or is it a motorcycle specific item?

Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

"Putting a fuel stabilizer in the tank, or draining the tank" - If you use Stabil (or other comparable brand) in the tank you should be able to run it out no prob when you get out of storage.

"...putting it on a tender/trickle charger" - Not motorcycle specific - A battery tender is mostly a battery tender, as long as you have one rated for the battery your gonna put it on. No idea what you're using on you're truck, but the same principle.

You dont necessarily need to take the battery out. Some like to leave it in to keep the alarm system alive during storage and just hookup the tender to keep the battery alive. This year I'll take the battery out and store it on a tender in my house as super cold garages and idle batteries dont go well together.

Your manual has a section on winter storage as well.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:37 AM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to squeeze every last day out of my ride too- 35 degrees F is cold- but I've also ridden to work in 25 degree weather...

Quick Reply: winter storage