General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley plant opening in India?!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley Making Indians? (or vice versa?)

I knew it was a bad day to get out of bed, but it looked like rain outside and I needed a shower. With some effort, I dragged my *** into the living room, plopped it down in my favorite chair, and sat on it. I turned on the computer to check the news on one of them new-fangled "blogs", but I was just getting over a head cold and couldn't say "blog" without jettisoning a bolus of excess mucosa onto my lap. So instead, I called up the Lucianne Goldberg site and scanned the headlines. And there it was.

"HARLEY DAVIDSON TO MAKE MOTORBIKES IN INDIA NEXT YEAR"

I reeled. And when I was done, I reeled again. My mind was spinning out of control. I slapped a book down on it and it sat still long enough for me to snap it back into place so's I could cogitate on the future.

I ask you, does this move not blur the distinction between Indian Americans and American Indians? Will we have to choose between driving an Indian or driving an Indian Harley?

And how will we know whether our new machine was made overseas? The cost savings enjoyed by hiring a labor force who cannot pronounce "Davidson" on the first try will be offset by the expense of shipping the end product half way around the world to a showroom near you. At least the two months' transit exposed to salt air will make them easily identifiable at the dealership.

(Note: Apologies are extended for the preceding racist comment. Mister Sensitivity does not play well with others. What I meant to say was that the labor force would build Harley Dabidsums with all the care and forethought that goes into the construction of an ant mound.)

What will the one percenters do? Their clubs require American-made bikes. Will the Hells Angels transmogrify into the "Reincarnated Recidivists"? Will the Sons of Anarchy commission a new chapter in Mahawilachchia? (and will season 4 see little Abel swept away into the slums of Calcutta?)

Harley going offshore requires two or more members of the board to agree on that plan of action, so that officially makes it a conspiracy to commit treason. I recommend that their trial be held in Lynchburg, Virginia, for reasons of symmetry.

And if the thought of a million 50cc two-stroke "motorbikes" cutting in and out of traffic in New Delhi, each one sporting an Ultra Classic label on their leg fenders is more than you think you can bear, it might help to remember the words of General George S. Patton.

"Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of Victory."

Last edited by Roosterboots; 11-02-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:34 AM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

According to the report, this plant is to produce bikes for India, which currently imports many models from the US. We'll see......................

Harley-Davidson to Open India Factory on Growing Luxury-Motorcycle Demand

By Siddharth Philip - Nov 2, 2010 6:40 AM ET Tue Nov 02 10:40:16 GMT 2010

Play Video

Nov. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Bloomberg's Erik Schatzker reports on the latest breaking news and top stories in today's Business Briefs. (Source: Bloomberg)

Harley-Davidson Inc. will open an assembly plant in India next year, its second outside of the U.S., as economic growth stokes demand for luxury motorcycles.
The plant in the northern state of Haryana will make models including Sportsters using kits imported from the U.S., Harley, the largest U.S. motorcycle maker, said in a statement today. It didn’t say how much the new facility would cost.
Harley began India sales earlier this year, gaining an edge on Bayerische Motoren Werke AG’s Motorrad unit, which is set to enter the market by December. Nationwide motorcycle sales will grow as much as 12 percent annually over the next three years, Ravi Sud, chief financial officer of Hero Honda Motors Ltd., the largest domestic motorcycle maker, said on Aug. 23.
“India’s rapidly growing economy, rising middle class and significant investment in construction of new roads and highways are paving the way for leisure motorcycle riding,” Chief Operating Officer Matthew S. Levatich said in the statement.
The Milwaukee-based company opened an assembly plant in Brazil in 1999, according to the statement.
To contact the reporter on this story: Siddharth Philip in Mumbai at sphilip3@bloomberg.net.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Neil Denslow at ndenslow@bloomberg.net.

Last edited by TORQUEY; 11-02-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:34 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Go back to bed........LOL

Old 11-02-2010, 06:56 AM
SMF
Banned

Umnmnn bro they have been talking about doing this for a while, making bikes for India in India next time before you almost get a heart attack just re read your articles bro

Old 11-02-2010, 07:16 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Old News

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
Umnmnn bro they have been talking about doing this for a while, making bikes for India in India next time before you almost get a heart attack just re read your articles bro
They have been kicking this around the net for several months. India has a substantial import tax on an imported Harley. They may sell a few if they manufacture in country. The only thing I take from this is why don't we have an India or China trade policy. Slap a big import tax on everything they sell here, build it here free gratis. Take back the most favored nation trading status from China and see if we can get some manufacturing jobs back. Level trading field my a$$, they manipulate the currency and use prison and child labor.

Yea! don't freak now but they are just testing the water's and easing into sending the Dot Head Harley's back this way. It will happen sooner or later, and I don't care about not being politically correct. The millions of manufacturing jobs we have lost over this limp wristed trade policy funded by corporate lobbyist tends to make one bitter.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:24 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

"Thank you for buying Harley Davidson. Please come again"

Old 11-02-2010, 07:29 AM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,345 Likes on 2,174 Posts

will these be push start or pull start?

Old 11-02-2010, 07:49 AM
BugDr
Road Master

Having had not so great experiences with other companies that have farmed out their customer service departments to Mumbai and New Delhi, just think what H-D customer service could be like.

Attached Thumbnails Harley plant opening in India?!!-microsoft_employee.jpg  
Old 11-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

You think they may sound like this. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F29tuwqR7s

Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wood u like a Slurpeee with that motor cycle?

Quick Reply: Harley plant opening in India?!!