General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's all about self preservation

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:53 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I am with Drew, a friend got something called tenaites (or something like that) where he gets a whistle all the time (this **** drives people literally to insanity and very devastating) .
I always use ear plugs, the silicon ones that expand in my ears are the best.
My Custom 500 helped me a bit too. on short rides I use Etymotics ER-6i, they are getting cheaper and gives me some good tunes and good ear protection.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:39 AM
SeLFiSh 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I turned a pair of custom made ear plugs, (Curteasy of the military) into earbuds work great for working out.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:55 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Yeti
Some may tell me to "Man up," but I finally bit the bullet and got fitted for custom ear plugs to block out my frigging loud exhaust. . .

I traded in my Iron Sportster for a 2011 Fat Boy Lo in October. Right off the bat I did a Stage 1 upgrade and added a 2 to 1 Thunderheader exhaust. I love the sound of the exhaust at idle as it has a nice bass growl. Going through town and my neighborhood is not too obnoxiously loud if I am careful w/ the throttle. However, when I let it rip, it sounds really good and I always have a smile on my face. This past Satuday, my wife and I took an all day ride (7+ hours) on and around the Skyline Drive and my right ear was definitely affected despite a full helmet. I treat hearing loss as an ENT surgeon and I really should know better. . . Thus I am getting ear plugs to preserve my hearing for another 50+ years of riding and I will keep the exhaust.

Question for the forum: I decided to break in my bike with 1000 miles before getting it tuned on the dyno. I am scheduling a dyno run soon. Does anyone know if getting it tuned will quiet it down a bit?

Thanks.
Naw, I won't tell anybody to "man up", but dude, what's up with installing a set of loud pipes and then needing earplugs to tolerate the sound??? If you don't want to subject yourself to the noise, do you really think it's fair to subject anybody else to it? You gonna give all those in your neighborhood and people you ride with a set of earplugs, too? If your pipes are too loud for you, I think common sense dictates that as the first indication of needing a quieter set of pipes or at very least a baffle, not earplugs.

I didn't mind the sound of my V&H BR pipes, but a lot of people I rode with told me they were way loud. So, I took them off and put the stock pipes back on until I can find something in between. Common courtesy, bro.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:54 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't hear the exhaust much, unless I'm going 25 - it's mostly wind that makes my ears ring.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:59 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by klf33
I am with Drew, a friend got something called tenaites (or something like that) where he gets a whistle all the time (this **** drives people literally to insanity and very devastating) .

I've had tinnitus most of my life (I was a field artillery cannoneer at 17) - not really that big a deal and not going to drive anybody crazy. Just makes it hard to hear tones that are close to the ringing tone you always hear. I only notice it if I think about it.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:03 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Screw the fools who want you to 'man up' in twenty years they'll be asking you 'what did he say'.
I have used the same foam plugs I have for shooting for years, especially for longer rides.
But when the temps start to fall off they are, to me, just as important as a helmet and warm gloves.
Colder air affects me more than wind or exhaust noise, it can give me an ear ache after only a short time.
See I'm very religious when it comes to pain, I'm a devout coward, and ear aches rank right up near the top of my list of pains to avoid whenever, wherever, and however possible.
I really don't like it at all.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I wear ear plugs sometimes, got some tan colored ones from Cycle Gear. I like the lack of wind noise, but after a few hours they make my ear canal ache. Just something to deal with, not a big deal.

Have lost too much hearing in my younger days....loud music, cars, and trucks...

Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 AM
mongoose
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Naw, I won't tell anybody to "man up", but dude, what's up with installing a set of loud pipes and then needing earplugs to tolerate the sound??? If you don't want to subject yourself to the noise, do you really think it's fair to subject anybody else to it? You gonna give all those in your neighborhood and people you ride with a set of earplugs, too? If your pipes are too loud for you, I think common sense dictates that as the first indication of needing a quieter set of pipes or at very least a baffle, not earplugs.

I didn't mind the sound of my V&H BR pipes, but a lot of people I rode with told me they were way loud. So, I took them off and put the stock pipes back on until I can find something in between. Common courtesy, bro.
Yeah, that.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,439 Likes on 2,652 Posts

[QUOTE=HoggyMtnBreakdown;7541091what's up with installing a set of loud pipes and then needing earplugs to tolerate the sound??? [/QUOTE]

The biggest problem (for me at least) is not the pipes (and I have V&H BSS, so they are loud), its the wind noise when the windshield is off - much bigger problem than pipes. I'm getting fitted this spring when I plan to do a lot more riding without the windshield.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:41 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DocJ
What firearms do you shoot? I'm mainly into 1911s, myself.

!
I mainly shoot a les baer 45 and my sig 9mm I have a couple of python 357's and 2 colt SAA 357's and an assortment of 22's I wont get into the list of long guns

Quick Reply: It's all about self preservation