General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backpacks and Baggers

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:55 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,071 Likes on 4,747 Posts

and so it starts!!

Old 11-17-2010, 01:56 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,222 Likes on 4,772 Posts

ABSPHUCKINGLUTELY NOT!!!

Unless it's a Jap bike....Then it's OK.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:18 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,071 Likes on 4,747 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
ABSPHUCKINGLUTELY NOT!!!

Unless it's a Jap bike....Then it's OK.
I gotta agree with you!!

Old 11-17-2010, 02:36 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,218 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Backpacks were designed to be used by schoolchildren, hikers, and boyscouts. I have no problem with using them for these activities.

For ANYTHING else: I HATE backpacks. I DESPISE backpacks. I LOATHE those frickin' things.

I hate them so bad that I wrote an article about them on my blog: http://beeswontstinganidiot.blogspot...backpacks.html The article explains it all.

Backpacks have NO use on a motorcycle. You don't need that extra weight up high and behind you. Strap something else down to the passenger seat and GET A LIFE!

Old 11-17-2010, 02:54 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,013 Likes on 6,302 Posts

It's perfectly all right if you are carrying MY stuff.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:09 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like this

Attached Thumbnails Backpacks and Baggers-67285_440102845355_111787580355_5688054_903049_n.jpg  
Old 11-17-2010, 03:12 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot about those trailer queens.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:21 PM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Backpacks were designed to be used by schoolchildren, hikers, and boyscouts. I have no problem with using them for these activities.

For ANYTHING else: I HATE backpacks. I DESPISE backpacks. I LOATHE those frickin' things.

I hate them so bad that I wrote an article about them on my blog: http://beeswontstinganidiot.blogspot...backpacks.html The article explains it all.

Backpacks have NO use on a motorcycle. You don't need that extra weight up high and behind you. Strap something else down to the passenger seat and GET A LIFE!
I bring a backpack to and from work. Your curiosity on what is carried in them will now be fulfilled:

Business cards
Pens
Flash drives
Sunglasses (or regular glasses .. .I have an Rx for both and carry both)
Notebook
SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 HDD adapter
External CD Burner
A few CDs
iPod
Lunch
Laptop (sometimes 2)
MiniUSB/USB cable
MiniUSB wall charger
MiniUSB to MicroUSB adapter.
Jewelers Screwdriver set
May stuff a sweatshirt in there depending on the weather.
Book

Why? Am I carrying "work" home? Sure. However, I work in IT in Corporate America. I also do troubleshooting and such on the side after work. This is my "toolbox" if you will. Sure, I could toss it in a plastic bag, but my backpack is much more organized. I could carry an expensive fancy briefcase, but all my stuff wont fit inside. I could carry an actual tool box ... but why? I can sling the backpack over my shoulder and I have everything I need. Users and clients appreciate that I rarely, if ever, have to go grab something or make them wait. Does that make me a workaholic? Nah. I take vacations. And when I am on vacation I don't take any work with me. In fact, I often times don't even take my cell phone. Sure, I am on call after I leave the office. Comes with the job ... and the pay rate I am at. I knew this when I got into this field.

My backpack straps to my sissy bar when I take the bike to work. Before I had the sissybar, it was on my back. I needed to bring the stuff with me. To the OP ... many will tell you it is "gay" or "lame" or you are "not a biker" and "not hardcore" or "badass" like they are. But, as pointed out earlier, why does any guy on a motorcycle care about the "gayness" or "fashion sense" of another guy on a motorcycle?

Old 11-17-2010, 03:22 PM
daleg3556
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
Is it OK to ride with a packpack on a bagger ?
I guess it depends on what you mean by a packpack. If you mean a backpack that fits over your shoulders I would say no. If you mean something built specifically for a motorcycle that fits over the backrest and rests on the back seat or luggage rack fine. I have one that fits all the crap I need to take to work every day and I just strap it on whichever bike I am riding on days I ride. On days I don't I throw it in the back seat of my truck.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a backrest? If so, no excuse...strap it to that. :P

If you don't have a backrest....well, I had backpacks on bike no matter the model. Can't stand having my shoulders pulled & restricted like that. Part of why I switched to a Touring.
I'd get a couple bungee cords and strap it to the back seat (or fender if you are a solo seat)

Quick Reply: Backpacks and Baggers