General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So when you say an idiiot riding in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
I wouldn't think of it as trashing a bike.I think alot of other people have ridden in snow too.It wasn't like it was 6 inches out there.Just flurries we had a dusting during the day.About 3 inches overnight.No biggy to me,now riding in a snow storm I wouldn't do.Now I would admire someone who rode in something like that.
If the road surface is cold enough that snow sticks...it's cold enough to have black ice under that dusting of snow. Good luck with that. Before I had my ATC and Quad I used to ride my dirt bikes in the snow...from a dusting to deep snow... of the 3 machines guess which ones handled the snow/low traction conditions better.

Just be careful out there, and 800 lb bike gets to be a handful when you loose the front wheel or the back end comes around.

Tech23

Last edited by Tech23; 12-06-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:52 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah, I rode home Friday evening through some flurries. Kind of liked it though. I was all bundled up so the cold was not a problem .... Glad I parked it Saturday though because I wound up at a party where I had to sleep on a couch. In the morning there was snow on the ground and ice on the bridges. This cold snap does kinda suck. Should be back out there next week.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:26 PM
dortiz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not ride with any snow sticking but I have to say riding through the flurries with the smell of chimnies was awesome.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:43 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
Here's a pic of me saturday morning temps were in the low 20's in the moutains of Va
Are you in the top picture, or the bottom one?

Old 12-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dortiz
I would not ride with any snow sticking but I have to say riding through the flurries with the smell of chimnies was awesome.
See that's the difference...I was in 6th gear with the throttle pinned and sideways. All I could smell was premix and race fuel.

Tech23

Old 12-06-2010, 06:19 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

A major difference in weight, but used to ride my baja 100 all winter to and from work. course my reaction time and blood circulation was a whole lot better then. No freaking way in hell I'd do that now. 16 years old vs. 53, no comparison. But kinda nice to remember way back then.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:28 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
A major difference in weight, but used to ride my baja 100 all winter to and from work. course my reaction time and blood circulation was a whole lot better then. No freaking way in hell I'd do that now. 16 years old vs. 53, no comparison. But kinda nice to remember way back then.
Baja 100!?!?!?!?!? I loved that bike, but I never owned one. Was yours street legal? It actually said Harley-Davidson on the tank. I remember that HUGE rear sprocket, and when it actually won the big race. Boy, we're getting on in years...

Old 12-06-2010, 06:42 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Baja 100!?!?!?!?!? I loved that bike, but I never owned one. Was yours street legal? It actually said Harley-Davidson on the tank. I remember that HUGE rear sprocket, and when it actually won the big race. Boy, we're getting on in years...
I took off the big trail sprocket for street use. When I raced it, depending on the track, I could change the primary sprocket from 12, 13, 14, or 15 tooth sprocket. I did have to spring for a 50 dollar speedometer to make it street legal. That was back in 1975. Oh.... the memories. the best I ever did was 3rd at the rapid angels race in wisconsin rapids. You couldn't wipe the smile off my face with a sledgehammer at that time!!! That trophy sits on the living rooom shelf.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been in the flurries plenty of times when I lived in Ohio. When it starts up..Head for the house before it gets too bad. I dont mind the cold at all.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:05 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 73 Posts

when I was a kid ....long time ago..
I had a morning paper route..
every day ..summer /winter...every day .
had a 1951 Mustang scooter..had to make payments on it
So ,every morning ( sometimes zero to the teens) I rode it .
Had to warm the plug on Momma's stove to get it to fire up..
Then waited (with it running ) untill I saw a 18 wheeler go toward the stop-sign.
route 66 out of Sapulpa Oklahoma.
then fell in behind it ..sucked up real tight to block the wind..
Knew He wouldnt slow down untill he got to RedFork ..(five miles).
Had on everything I owned, including WW2 army surplus gear..
Stupid thing was ..After I got through with paper-route , want home warmed up ..
then at 7:30 AM , I rode the Mustang to school , with My cool clothes,no helmet,and loafers ... (had to look cool , but froze MAOFF..

Quick Reply: So when you say an idiiot riding in the snow