General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing bike in unheated garage....

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 03:06 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheater
I respectfully disagree with the logic of running it once a month. Winterize it well and leave it alone till spring. JMO
Agree 100%
To run the bike is causing moisture in the whole system, engine, exhaust, there is no way you are going to get rid of it running the bike inside. I put mine up and never touch it again until I am ready to fire it up and go for a ride.
Battery tender, cover that breathes and Stabil, it will be fine.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:47 PM
BigTM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cold is not the problem for me. A damp garage let moisture into my guage glass. I rode for a couple of hours and it dried up. I then moved to my other garage which is dry and insulated better. Never a problem there. In Nor Cal we ride all year so no need to winterize here. Sometimes it sits for close to a month though. T

Old 12-17-2010, 07:16 PM
lov_My_Harley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine in an uninsulated garage for a few years and all I do is start it every three weeks and even though it gets pretty cold here in CO I take take it out for a good ride about every three weeks. As long as there isnt' ice and I can make it through all the various gears of the transmission I haven't had a problem...no sweating, battery problems, or flat tires.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:53 PM
teacherman
Cruiser

I have mine on a rolling bike dolly, so I can slide it into a corner. Gonna be a tight fit with two bikes, a car, a table saw and more in a one car garage. Battery tender and pink HD blanket (thanks, sis!) round out the package.

Attached Thumbnails Storing bike in unheated garage....-waiting-for-spring.jpg  
Old 12-18-2010, 06:10 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
at least you don't have to worry about the coolant freezing..

no it won't hurt anything sitting in the cold..
Father time is the real enemy,and of course the way the bike is treated and maintained.Been storing all my vehicles in unheated garages for many years.At first was as concerned as the next guy,over time you will see.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:40 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

I put mine in the air on a lift. That way, wheels are up. (Jack is locked, to take the pressure off the bottle jack) and hook it up to the battery tender. Of course all fluids changed and bike completely washed before hibernation. To keep the mice away, I put dryer sheets in the exaust and around the crevices of the bike. Mice hate dryer sheets. Then I put traps around the bike w/ peanut butter, mice love peanut butter. Usually catch about a dozen every winter. Covered with a breathable car cover from my dad's old vette. Never start until April 1st, or salt and snow is gone.

TedMan

Old 12-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Swede405
Get one of these...problem solved

Old 12-18-2010, 10:14 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not if the garage is heated or not ..... It's if you give a **** about your ride or not ..... judgeing by some of the answers you dont ....... easy come easy go

Last edited by skulltrainharley; 12-18-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by class3204
will anything such as the chrome get damaged from cold weather?? i am in NJ so it gets pretty cold...
I live in Northeast Ohio. I have kept my bike in my unheated garage for 8 winters now. Nothing has ever happened to my bike due to the cold. I have never put fuel stabilzer in it. I have never used a battery tender on it.(And the battery is still original) I have never done any winterizing of any kind. I just park it, and when I get a chance to ride it I ride it.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:07 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

In my experience battery tenders ( bikes quads ect. ) will prolong the life of your battery.

You can try to get by without fuel stabilizer but the first time you have trouble you won't risk

it again ( been there ).

If you didn't stabilize the gas you can tell if it went bad by the varnish smell from it.

Don't try to run it , drain the gas and put in fresh gas with a strong mix of seafoam .

Get the gas into the carbs and let it set a day to do its work then fire it up( been there again ).

Seafoam works as a great stabilizer BTW.

If your sharing a garage with a salty wet car as most in the north are give your bike a

good waxing before you put it away also.

Quick Reply: Storing bike in unheated garage....