Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   What do you think of these? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/593377-what-do-you-think-of-these.html)

teacherman 12-22-2010 10:23 PM

What do you think of these?

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone used these before? I want to ride a RKC in the cold, and thought these might help with cold legs. Any pros or cons you can think of? I wonder about catching too much wind and lessening road stability.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...1&d=1293078141

Good Time Gang 12-22-2010 10:32 PM

if you ask me they look gay. get a pair of chaps or if you dont like the look get a pair of cover-alls.

Larry the Landlord 12-22-2010 10:34 PM

I have soft lowers on my bike. My feet stay warmer. They do seem to hurt the gas milage a little. I'm not taking them off till spring.

DeD Fred 12-22-2010 11:32 PM

Like running a marathon with a sock in your mouth.

They callem Air Cooled for a reason

j1mmy 12-22-2010 11:42 PM

they dont hurt the bike at all if it is under 50deg out,air still blows thru the center.(might be like a heater blowing past the cylinders,could be nice)..will block some wind but are really for blocking rain..i have been thinking of getting a set.pretty cheap,50 on ebay last year when i looked..wouldnt catch any more wind then a ultra with lowers

BassCatcher 12-22-2010 11:47 PM

Yeah, you can buy a decent pair of chaps for what they want for those things and your entire leg will be kept a whole lot warmer.

Mal74 12-22-2010 11:49 PM

I have a set of Dura-Shields I bought off ebay on my Heritage for cold weather. This is the second winter season I've had them and they work great!

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Mr Cujo 12-23-2010 12:02 AM

I use 'em all winter long - They help a lot to keep cold wind and rain off the lower legs and feet.
The biggest pro is that they are fast off and fast on.
If you leave home and it's in the 30's, but spend the afternoon in the 60's, it's a fast pit stop to get 'em off and enjoy the warmth of the day -- Opposite holds true-- warm all day, but coming home late in the chill, snap 'em on and there you have it - a bit more warmth.

Look around, you can find different versions made from different materials - from pleather to canvas. Prices run from as little as $20 (used) to as much as you care to spend, but figure right around $50.00 as a fair price for anything new and well built.

It's a bit cheeky, but no, I'm not aware of a production Road King (or any bagger for that matter) that is capable of attaining any speed wherein these might offer a dangerous amount of unstable air.

FWIW, I've had mine on at well over the posted speed limit and all they do is cost a little mpg.

OldEnuf2NoBtr 12-23-2010 01:45 AM

I thought this was going to be about Boobies. Never mind.:icon_fryingpan:

pargenz 12-23-2010 02:04 AM

I'd rather wear chaps than use soft lowers.

Harleybass 12-23-2010 02:11 AM

Real Leather

I've been thinking about a set of these, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

The leather is more expensive, but I just don't like stuff made out of the "Hyde of The Nauga".

http://www.chilhowee.net/harley-davi...ps/EGC001.html

togfish 12-23-2010 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr (Post 7689644)
I thought this was going to be about Boobies. Never mind.:icon_fryingpan:

Me too, what a disapointmemt huh?

Griff012FLHX 12-23-2010 06:43 AM

Me three....Got all excited.
Those lowers are easy on and off....Try the dam things and see if ya like them....
If ya got a tail wind, ya might get more mileage....

schumacher 12-23-2010 06:47 AM

They work great and date back to the 30's. Whoever would make fun of them is gay indeed.
Chap's don't funnel nice hot air onto your legs as you ride down the road.

danmo 12-23-2010 10:42 AM

I've borrowed my Dad's before and they are nice. I wouldn't choose these over chaps but they are a nice addition to help keep cold air off of you. In the rain they are nice to keep your feet and legs more dry.
My Dad has the Harley ones with the logo and buckles. The plain Harley ones with snaps a lot of dealers won't carry because the snaps rip out.

skratch 12-23-2010 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by j1mmy (Post 7689516)
they dont hurt the bike at all if it is under 50deg out,air still blows thru the center.(might be like a heater blowing past the cylinders,could be nice)..will block some wind but are really for blocking rain..i have been thinking of getting a set.pretty cheap,50 on ebay last year when i looked..wouldnt catch any more wind then a ultra with lowers

not entirely true. the hard lowers are more aerodynamically shaped. the soft lowers are like a flat wall.

however, i was using the soft lowers until i got my hard lowers. i didn't have any problem with them. easy on/easy off. definitely keeps your legs warmer, and are a great addition to chaps. i think i paid about $30 for the hd vinyl ones off ebay 2 years ago.....

i didn't notice any unstability, or serious hit to gas mileage.

jafhdo 12-23-2010 11:00 AM

I've got a set and they work great for rain, not too bad for keeping the wind off the feet down to about 17degrees (coldest I've tested them)

As for chaps... everytime I see a grown man wearing them I think of Police Academy and the Blue Moon. oh well everyone to their own.

SamStone 12-23-2010 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by pargenz (Post 7689678)
I'd rather wear chaps than use soft lowers.

I use both. They help a lot. People who say chaps and soft lowers are "gay" are trying to justify why they are too pussy to ride in the cold.

schumacher 12-23-2010 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by SamStone (Post 7690545)
I use both. They help a lot. People who say chaps and soft lowers are "gay" are trying to justify why they are too pussy to ride in the cold.

I think the real pussy's are the morons out there riding in 30 degrees with a light jacket, no gloves, and nothing on their head.
"Hey everyone, look at me...I'm a tuff biker that will need medical attention in 30 minutes"

Darwinism at it's finest :icon_razz:

IronAss 12-23-2010 02:06 PM

I use the H-D ones and they do a pretty good job of blocking allot of the cold air.

IronAss 12-23-2010 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by jafhdo (Post 7690509)
As for chaps... everytime I see a grown man wearing them I think of Police Academy and the Blue Moon. oh well everyone to their own.

Hey! Stand down....The DUKE wore chaps.

mike in dallas 12-23-2010 03:35 PM

have on my heritage and love them.

Harleybass 12-23-2010 03:48 PM

Gay??

Originally Posted by Good Time Gang (Post 7689326)
if you ask me they look gay. get a pair of chaps or if you dont like the look get a pair of cover-alls.

Most often people that point to inanimate objects and call them "Gay", are trying to focus attention away from their own "skippy~swishy~Homo" tendencies!!

Just my $.02 worth.

katiedog 12-23-2010 04:05 PM

the desert dawgs work well. i recently put them on my RKC. there is no temperature restrictions.the harley product blocks more air and must be removed above 50 degrees F.

carlgrover 12-23-2010 04:51 PM

Chaps might keep your legs warm but they won't do crap for your toes. I just put a pair of soft lowers on my RKC and they are staying on all winter. They keep my toes, feet AND legs warm. If you are worried about them looking gay, just get yourself a pink scarf and wrap it around your neck. I guarantee that no one will even notice the soft lowers.

I bought my lowers from here: http://www.airlite.ca/ They are very well made.

Iceman24 12-23-2010 04:55 PM

Save some $$$ & get the HD vented hard lowers...much better looking & more functional.

Pass Rider 12-23-2010 09:39 PM

I have the Harley version of the soft lowers. They absolutely help keep the lower legs AND the feet warmer. They extend the riding season several months here in Colorado.

cowboy Harry 12-23-2010 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Iceman24 (Post 7691777)
Save some $$$ & get the HD vented hard lowers...much better looking & more functional.

Do you know first hand that this is a fact. Have you used both for a comparison ???? Explain the difference if so.

Mr Cujo 12-23-2010 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Iceman24 (Post 7691777)

Looks aside, how does a $600.00 set of hard lowers beat a $50.00 set of soft lowers on price???

Ozoneman 12-23-2010 10:11 PM

My wife has the Desert Dawg ones on her Softail Deluxe. She likes them and they serve their purpose. Just in case it matters, they are American made by a woman, so if you want to support a minority American business, buy the Desert Dawgs because the HD ones probably come from across the seas.

teacherman 12-24-2010 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by carlgrover (Post 7691754)
Chaps might keep your legs warm but they won't do crap for your toes. I just put a pair of soft lowers on my RKC and they are staying on all winter. They keep my toes, feet AND legs warm. If you are worried about them looking gay, just get yourself a pink scarf and wrap it around your neck. I guarantee that no one will even notice the soft lowers.

I bought my lowers from here: http://www.airlite.ca/ They are very well made.

Is the pink scarf official HD equipment? :icon_warped:

Local custom scoot shop recommended the desert dawgs for me. I like them, and try to get my stuff there. Seems like the covers might help on a really cold day.

1badbagger 12-24-2010 04:34 AM

Had 'em, HATED 'em !!!

They threw the cold air up into my face, went home, took 'em off and sold 'em. Would have burned 'em before I ever put 'em on again. Others liked 'em, go figure !

chopped7 12-24-2010 06:28 AM

i have them. i bought them instead of chaps because of the information i got on this forum. it became my understanding that if you wore "assless" chaps you are a gay RUB. i'm not that so i got the lowers........and i started using lemon pledge. http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6922/fingerj.gif

schumacher 12-24-2010 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by 1badbagger (Post 7693573)
Had 'em, HATED 'em !!!

They threw the cold air up into my face

there's a cure for that ;)

This is the full face Harley Helmet I have and wear when it's cold. And yes, I've worn it on the Victory :D

http://www.kevlarmotorcyclehelmets.c...20helmet_1.jpg

skratch 12-24-2010 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Cujo (Post 7692990)
Looks aside, how does a $600.00 set of hard lowers beat a $50.00 set of soft lowers on price???

i think he meant not to waste the money on the soft lowers and go straight for the hard lowers as thats where you would end up anyway. i highly doubt he was thinking that you could buy hard lowers for less than soft.....

Geoff 12-24-2010 12:02 PM

Soft lowers help block wind. I think they're a good investment, and the looks don't matter. Style points are out the window when you're trying to keep warm.

Mr Cujo 12-24-2010 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by skratch (Post 7694672)
i think he meant not to waste the money on the soft lowers and go straight for the hard lowers as thats where you would end up anyway. i highly doubt he was thinking that you could buy hard lowers for less than soft.....

I was thinking it must be something like that..but there again I have the hard lowers that came with my bike and I don't use them. The soft lowers are more convenient..IMHO

SoALposer 12-24-2010 04:52 PM

Now I'm confused............again. First chaps are gay, now you are saying that lowers are gay, but chaps aren't??????????????????????? Make up my mind dingdangit.

Mr Cujo 12-24-2010 07:47 PM

SoAL,

I think to some posers, everything is gay...unless it's on their bike, then it's HAWT !!

'course, most of those guys are home bitchin' about the cold on some random web-forum, while all the 'gay' guys have been out logging some miles.

To end your confusion, just go out and ride..

schumacher 12-24-2010 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Cujo (Post 7696185)
'course, most of those guys are home bitchin' about the cold on some random web-forum, while all the 'gay' guys have been out logging some miles.

that's right, real men live where it snows http://forums.tentonhammer.com/image...as_cheers2.gif