General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Experienced Riders Course - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 08:49 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: MSF Experienced Riders Course - advice?

No problem. You'll do just fine and end up with increased confidence in what you're doing.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:24 PM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The floorboard scrapeing is sweet!It scares the crap out of the "Mike bike is flawless riders"the firts time it happens!!!

Old 09-29-2006, 06:14 PM
adamzapple
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been riding a little over a year and I made a deal with myself that I had to do the ERC before buying a Harley. I did the ERC on a Yamaha V-Star (Fatboy clone). It's very similar to the BRC but you ride a little faster. I did the figure 8, offset weave, braking in a curve, stopping with rear brake only, riding on curves with one hand. It was less pressure than the BRC (which I failed the first time) since the ERC was not pass/fail. I really enjoyed the experience and plan on doing it every year. $75 here in Southern California.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:53 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woo f****ing hoo! Just got back from the ERC. I'm a tired sumbitch - over 8 hours of sitting, standing, idling in 95 degree, 35% humidity while wearing a full face helmet, leather gloves, Harley mesh jacket and some BMW riding boots. (I don't quite dress the part of a Harley "one-percenter".)

The Dyna ran flawlessly - even in the heat. No engine overheating, no misfiring an no strange tranny noise. However, by the end of the day the front disc was moaning like T.O. at a Cowboy press conference so I'm thinking that I may have glazed the pads. (We were doing a lot of hard stopping exercises.) Looks like I'll need to pick up some pads this week. Looks like I'll also finally need to learn how to install 'em.

Thanks for all the feedback on the ERC. I rode away feeling MUCH more confident in my ability to maneuver the Dyna in tight spaces and I now know how far I can push the brakes before I have an "Oh sh*t!" moment. It was also good to get a refresher in some of the basics that we tend to take for granted.

Highly recommended.