General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Train vs Crossbones?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 636 Likes on 327 Posts

I thought of puttin a fatter wheel and tire set up on it but i just think it would take away from the night train look. I know alot of people like to customize their bikes but im one for keeping the main components origanol as possible with just some slight mods. If i would go the route of putting a new springer front end and wheel combo i think for the cost id be better off just trading it in and getting the Bones. A good springer front end aint cheap! And i wouldnt feel like its a night train any more it would be more like a bad boy. But the real deal is i deffanetly have to take a bones for a ride only way to really compair. My bigesst turn off of the crossbones is the price! Its like 17,600 with the color option. hats crazy for a bike that comes with a solo seat and no passenger pegs and an old springer front end. And if i trade my train in id propably lose my a*% on it. Man why do i like the crossbones so much???

Old 01-02-2011, 06:01 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
I thought of puttin a fatter wheel and tire set up on it but i just think it would take away from the night train look. I know alot of people like to customize their bikes but im one for keeping the main components origanol as possible with just some slight mods. If i would go the route of putting a new springer front end and wheel combo i think for the cost id be better off just trading it in and getting the Bones. A good springer front end aint cheap! And i wouldnt feel like its a night train any more it would be more like a bad boy. But the real deal is i deffanetly have to take a bones for a ride only way to really compair. My bigesst turn off of the crossbones is the price! Its like 17,600 with the color option. hats crazy for a bike that comes with a solo seat and no passenger pegs and an old springer front end. And if i trade my train in id propably lose my a*% on it. Man why do i like the crossbones so much???
If you don't want to take away from the look of the Night Train but still want a fat front tire you should go with a 21x3.5 rim laced to your stock hub and run a 120/70 tire. That would fatten up the front end and still keep the look of the 21.

Personally I would keep the Night Train. It's a bad *** bike.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:55 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just looking for some opinions.. I own a 2009 Night Train. love the bike but every time i see a Crossbones it calls to me. Just saw one at a local dealer in sadona orange it was awsome. So just want to know what everyone thinks is the beter bike as far as performance and looks.
I have only ridden a crossbones once, but I didn't notice any performance issues other than the seat being a little too springy - that seats belongs on a rigid frame. I like the looks of the crossbones springer front-end a lot more - if there had been a used one around for a price close to my standard, I'd have bought it instead. I did look at a Springer softail, which was what I went to the dealer for in the first polace, but I didn't like some of the mods or the custom paint, so I went with the FXST. It's hard to beat a springer for looks.

I'd go for the crossbones in a second - then put on a regular solo seat or modify the x-bones seat by cutting down or removing the springs. They aren't needed.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member

I do think the night train is a bad bike also, and love it. If i keep it i will look into putting the 120 wheel on front but i think its the springer look with the fat tire that keeps calling me to the Bones. I thought of installing some black 14" apes on the Train but for that to look good i think i have to black out the tripple trees and fork tubes. Then i thought about just putting crome apes on it.. but then realized that i would be giving the look of a softail custom which i dont want. I also love that vintage post war look of the crossbones its timeless IMO.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Another vote for keeping the NT

Old 01-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NT over a XB any day of the week 4 me, just my .02

Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 458 Likes on 281 Posts

I've had several springer front ends going back to the "70's. They look great but handle like a truck. Remember, there is a reason why everyone but Harley stopped using them. Keep the NT

Old 01-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member

LoL..Dosent seem like theirs alot of Crossbone love out their ! I do really like my Train i just really like the Crossbones too.. Wish i could have both. Havent herd alot of positive on the springer front ends as far as performance. But they look so good. Any more Bone fans out their? Anymore bone owners that can comment on their performace would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:08 PM
FreakO'Nature
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say keep the Train. But I might be biased!

Old 01-02-2011, 12:45 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 944 Posts

LoL..Dosent seem like theirs alot of Crossbone love out their ! I do really like my Train i just really like the Crossbones too.. Wish i could have both. Havent herd alot of positive on the springer front ends as far as performance. But they look so good. Any more Bone fans out their? Anymore bone owners that can comment on their performace would be greatly appreciated.
The NT is by the the more common bike. Lots more of them, lots more owners. The springer front end is heavier and has more un-sprung weight than a glide. This slows down steering. That's good on the highway, less good in the hills. If you like to ride distance, the CB is the superior bike. The sprung seat is a nice adder on the road as well. I do 800 mile days on my way to Sturgis every year. Much more comfy on the CB. I could barely walk after that long a day on my NT.

Quick Reply: Night Train vs Crossbones?