General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Weather Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:21 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cold Weather Gear

Just curious what everyone wears when riding in colder weather. I've seen people riding in snowmobile suits, leathers and such with electric gloves, socks, vests, pants and god only knows what else. I'm not talking about riding in sub-zero cold, just when it is down in the 40's on a nice November or early December day, or even now here in the northeast when its in the low 40's early in the morning.

I've looked at electric clothing, seems way too expensive for a few extra days of riding. Insulated underwear is an alternative, there is everything from silk, to wool and gor-tex on the market. I'm open to any suggestions other than the snowmobile/Michelin man look. Layering clothes seems like the best idea, just keeping the cold wind off of me would be a help, and no, I don't need a faring or windshield, although they would undoubtedly help.

Thanks for your input.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Cold Weather Gear

Silk long johns, silk inner socks, wool socks, boots, jeans, leather chaps, longsleeve t, heavy t, leather jacket, full finger gloves, scarf or mask, full face helmet.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Motor Squad
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear a jacket made by Blauer. The jacket has many awesome features:
-It's a rain jacket and you can buy rain pants to go with it.
-Zip out liner makes it lighter during the day when it warms up and because its a rain jacket it blocks ALL the wind.
-Reflective material sewn into it makes it visible during foul weather and night.
I am very happy with it because it does many things for the price.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:34 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

IF you only ride down to the lower 40's you don't need anything special. Leather jacket should be fine. Of course gloves are a given. But you don't even need winter gloves at that point.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: atomic

IF you only ride down to the lower 40's you don't need anything special. Leather jacket should be fine. Of course gloves are a given. But you don't even need winter gloves at that point.
I ride every morning at 41 degrees and the only thing that gets cold is my face. Other then that you need no extra gear.

Now if you are talking 20's then thats something else.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:53 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Yellotang

ORIGINAL: atomic

I ride every morning at 41 degrees and the only thing that gets cold is my face. Other then that you need no extra gear.

Now if you are talking 20's then thats something else.
Yup! I quite often ride in the winter where starting out it is in the 20s and 45 minutes later it is in the 80s and 3000 feet lower. Layers take em off when it gets warm; put em back on when you start home.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:28 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your biggest enemy is the wind. Just take a look at a wind chill facter chart. Just moving along at a statley 50mph will significantly increase the effects of cold air. Your hands can really take a beating. A good glove is very important. Even at 40*, I wear my winter gloves. Warm hand work better, especially as you get older.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:38 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A protective layer of fat I've saved for years.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:41 AM
Motor Squad
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: grunt

A protective layer of fat I've saved for years.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif] That's an expensive investment in cold weather "gear".

Old 10-08-2006, 04:17 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Harley offers a Gore "Windstopper" fabric long sleeve zip up jacket that is fantastic in chilly weather--it will keep you warm without making you sweat and is very light weight. It is not bulky so you can wear it under leather or mesh riding jackets if you want added protection from road rash.

Harley sells a Gore-Tex lined boot, "Storm" is the model name I believe, that is made for them by Wolverine which sells its own equivalent. These work great in keeping your feet warm in hot weather, dry in the rain, and cool in the warm months. Fantastic boot.

Other outdoor sporting apparel using "Windstopper" fabric are also adptable for riding if you aren't wedded to wearing Harley branded products. I use a Gore Windstopper pullover that I originally purchased and used for playing fall/winter golf--it works fine for riding and is actually better than the Harley product since it is a pullover with a zippered closure--it is made by Zero Restriction.HTH

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Gear