General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertical Mount License Plate Correct Orientation

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Zac Strayer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac69
ok i mounted my plate verticaly. my question is should it be mounted so its facing the bike or away from the bike. With the state near the bike or away.

Here is an pic of what i am talking about. Right now i have my state on the inside. But i have seen pics of it mounted so the state is on the outside. Which way is right?
Is there little metal spikes or nail type things sticking out of your rear tire?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

I received two warnings, one full fledged ticket, and two failed inspections due to my vertical plate on my previous Dyna. Vermont Law requires a horizontal plate.

Last edited by Rickr01; 02-24-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 AM
mjh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe California has a horizontal plate requirement.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjh
I believe California has a horizontal plate requirement.
Correct.

SB 1318, Senate Transportation & Housing Committee
This bill also amended Section 5201 of the Vehicle Code to require license plates to be mounted parallel to the ground so the characters are upright and display from left to right.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 AM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Shoot, I've got a vertical on my FXST right here in California. Talk about infringing freedom, how you mount a license plate??? We need to take our country back from the overlords...

Old 02-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bjewell
Shoot, I've got a vertical on my FXST right here in California. Talk about infringing freedom, how you mount a license plate??? We need to take our country back from the overlords...
I can't agree with you. I am a Libertarian and want the government out of my life as much as possible. However, having a driver's license is not a born right, it is a privilege granted by the state. They own the plate, not you, and have the right to tell you how it must be displayed.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At least we don't have the huge plates some countries require.
Must be for the old blind cops that can't see small text, .

Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 AM
MidnightFLHX11
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had mine mounted vertical for going on three years. State on the inside as you can see in my sig picture.

Put on thousands of miles in surrounding states; ny, nj, vt, nh, md, va and de. Never had a problem. Though several compliments were received and a few from various police officers.

I spoke with a LEO friend of mine when I was looking at getting it done, he said that according to PA at the time, as long as your license plate had the appropriate registration sitcker and is illuminated, it's legal. Not sure if it still is, but that's the last I heard. I'm sure I'll get tickets for loud exhaust before a vertically mounted license plate.

The following users liked this post:
Steve Robinson (02-10-2020)
Old 02-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Dennis@TopDownProducts
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CopperFXSTC08
I've had mine mounted vertical for going on three years. State on the inside as you can see in my sig picture.

Put on thousands of miles in surrounding states; ny, nj, vt, nh, md, va and de. Never had a problem. Though several compliments were received and a few from various police officers.

I spoke with a LEO friend of mine when I was looking at getting it done, he said that according to PA at the time, as long as your license plate had the appropriate registration sitcker and is illuminated, it's legal. Not sure if it still is, but that's the last I heard. I'm sure I'll get tickets for loud exhaust before a vertically mounted license plate.

PA, as with lots of states, require Horizontal license plate display. Now, we have customers in many states and countries and I have heard from some who have told me stories of being pulled over by the locals for a vertical license plate. Now for them, being a Roto-Plate customer, they asked the cop if they could make it horizontal. In all cases, they were allowed so they gave the Roto-Plate a twist from vertical to horizontal. And in these cases the cops let them off...no ticket. One cop was so amazed, he asked for the guy to show him again how he made it go from vertical to horizontal. The cops response was "Cool!"

Not saying this is the only solution...not saying it will always get you off the hook...just thought I would share some feedback from customers.

Dennis
Top Down Products
Home of the One and Only ROTO-PLATE, Rotatable License Plate Side Mount
www.topdownproducts.com

Old 02-24-2011, 05:25 PM
MidnightFLHX11
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis@TopDownProducts
PA, as with lots of states, require Horizontal license plate display. Now, we have customers in many states and countries and I have heard from some who have told me stories of being pulled over by the locals for a vertical license plate. Now for them, being a Roto-Plate customer, they asked the cop if they could make it horizontal. In all cases, they were allowed so they gave the Roto-Plate a twist from vertical to horizontal. And in these cases the cops let them off...no ticket. One cop was so amazed, he asked for the guy to show him again how he made it go from vertical to horizontal. The cops response was "Cool!"

Not saying this is the only solution...not saying it will always get you off the hook...just thought I would share some feedback from customers.

Dennis
Top Down Products
Home of the One and Only ROTO-PLATE, Rotatable License Plate Side Mount
www.topdownproducts.com
^Sounds like an infomercial.

Made a call to a police friend, as of August 2008 horizontal plates are required. Obviously doesn't matter who had them vertical prior to that time as myself but I'm not going to change it.

As for the OP who already spent money on the mount, going back to your original question; there is no "correct" way to mount the plate whether the state is on the inside or outside.

Quick Reply: Vertical Mount License Plate Correct Orientation