General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy two brand new Harleys, want some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

this will turn into a chaps argument any minute now.............

Old 02-25-2011, 08:11 AM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oneloudz71
Wow, I have to say I completly disagree with Garand. If our world, much less just our country, ran that way most of us would still be riding horses as our main source of transportation and living in houses made of mud and sticks. I can see where financing 100% on "toys" can result in making a bad situation worse, but if the buyer is responsible everything will be just fine and it gives the buyer much more time to do what he/she enjoys...riding. Did I mention that time is the only resource you can not get more of? Anyway, off the soapbox now...To the OP; work the deal, check all your options (other dealers and other lenders), and most importantly congrats and have fun with the new bikes!
Did I mention that time is the only resource you can not get more of?
+1
not enough people realize this......until they are out of time.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
this will turn into a chaps argument any minute now.............
of the a$$less variety....lmao

Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

just get the deal. if your wife has a mouth on here u can use that as leverage to get the deal. I mean vocally of course. If not, go there alone and get the deal you want or walk away. there are plenty other dealers all over the country that will sell the same damn bikes. Get a deal, make the deal, drive away happy. END OF STORY

Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 AM
schumacher
Club Member

since this is a "buying a Harley" thread, it needs some apropriate music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h45WnW0ASFY

Last edited by schumacher; 02-25-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kcmfg
I am calling a few banks first to get their rates. I also plan on not signing anything today and shopping around on Saturday at a few other dealers. I'll shoot high and settle somewhere in between for the deal.

As for everyone telling me not to finance, I'm gonna hold my tongue and just say I am more than aware of what is involved with financing a "toy" as you call it. We are both actually selling our pleasure vehicles for the bikes, but are waiting till spring to do so, so financing it until then.

you my friend NEED to do a lot more research. Harley gets the rates for you if you are finacning in house. Becasreful what u wish for. I financed my bike with no problem. Had 17% on the loan but I paid off 12k in 1 year so it wasnt horrible. Id save as much as u can for a nice large downpayment. this makes ALL banks happy. Dont rush this sort of thing.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using your Credit Union is the way to go if you must finance...most of us poor bastards would have nothing if we couldn't finance. Times are hard and the dealer is feeling it too. Work your best deal and go for it!

Time on this earth is short. Enjoy what you can afford. You never know what may happen later to prevent your riding experience.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:24 AM
MJR28
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
yeh, only rich people buy brand new Harleys outright. never met a rich biker myself
I remember about 30 years ago I witnessed a 1% very early on a Sunday morning post a substantial cash bail for a fellow club member. That was back in the day before electronic money. He was able to pull it out of a bag at very short notice and it would have bought a few Harleys. The cars and houses those guys owned at the time outdid mine and they were genuine bikers wearing very well known patches. I've seen a few in my day.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:27 AM
schumacher
Club Member

Originally Posted by MJR28
I remember about 30 years ago I witnessed a 1% very early on a Sunday morning post a substantial cash bail for a fellow club member. That was back in the day before electronic money. He was able to pull it out of a bag at very short notice and it would have bought a few Harleys. The cars and houses those guys owned at the time outdid mine and they were genuine bikers wearing very well known patches. I've seen a few in my day.
and I'm sure that was all reported income

Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerstu
Did I mention that time is the only resource you can not get more of?
+1
not enough people realize this......until they are out of time.
Let's get something straight. I'm 32 years old with a wife and 3 kids making a 60K income after taxes. I'm not rich by any means. Believe me, it doesn't take much time to build some serious wealth when your income isn't tied up by paying debts. I have 2008 cash paid FLHX and a 2010 Cash Paid Rav 4 and a Cash paid 2003 Dakota. I'm assuming this reference to time running out is along the lines of, "You only live once." I'm still pretty young and enjoying every minute of this life. It doesn't look like I've missed out on too much of this time to ride what I want.

The truth is you WILL be out of time to build wealth once you grow up and realize you've pi$$ed away your money your entire life.

Do what you whatever makes you happy. Grandma used to say, "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

Sorry if I sound arrogant, but this is a topic I'm passionate about. I'm also proud to be enjoying the rewards of living on a budget. I only want to inspire others to do the same.

BTW, regardless of income, job security, or if you don't come under hard times the truth is we all have different definitions of wealth and if we're broke or not. By my definition, if you have to finance a bike you're already having a hard time, but you just don't know it yet.

Last edited by garand; 02-25-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: About to buy two brand new Harleys, want some advice